Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP password change in production

Vlad Olteanu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have a question abt the VTP password change while the switches are inproduction. I have tested this in my lab and I did not really see any bad consequences , but I 'd like a confirmation from one of you that's done this before.

I have 2 VTP servers 4507R-E and 20 4506 access switches in client mode.

I would like to change the VTP password while the switches are in prod. Do you know if this would have any negative impact?

I dont plan of creating any new Vlan, so Vlans are already registered on all switches!

Thanks,

Vlad

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hunnetvl01 wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have a question abt the VTP password change while the switches are inproduction. I have tested this in my lab and I did not really see any bad consequences , but I 'd like a confirmation from one of you that's done this before.

I would like to change the VTP password while the switches are in prod. Do you know if this would have any negative impact?

I dont plan of creating any new Vlan, so Vlans are already registered on all switches!

Thanks,

Vlad

Vlad

This should be fine. Obviously the only thing that it will affect is if you added/deleted/modfied a vlan on the VTP server whilst you were still chaging the passwords on some of the clients but as long as you don't do that you should be fine.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hunnetvl01 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks,

Vlad

Vlad

This should be fine. Obviously the only thing that it will affect is if you added/deleted/modfied a vlan on the VTP server whilst you were still chaging the passwords on some of the clients but as long as you don't do that you should be fine.

Jon

Thanks Jon,

I was hoping for this answer!

Thanks again!

Vlad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card