Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

VTP Password

When I set the vtp password on my server switch (apple), then set the same password (apple) on all my client switches it takes a long time for newly created vlans to proprogate down. Is this normal behavoir?

Is there a command that will speed up the propagation? All switches are running IOS (#vtp password apple). Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: VTP Password

David

5 mins is the default time for a summary advertisement from the VTP server. So it sounds like you are hitting this.

But when you update vlan info it should automatically send out a summary advertisement and it sounds like this is happening after that first 5 minute wait.

Not sure exactly what is happening with that first advertisement. It's like there has been no change on the VTP server so it simply waits for 5 mins then advertises out it's standard summary advertisement.

Jon

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

David

What is a long time ?

When you add/delete/create a vlan on the VTP server the switch should then send a summary advertisement to the other switches with a higher configuration revision number, followed by a number of subset advertisements with the vlan info in. So it should be fairly quick after you have update the vlan database on the VTP server.

Jon

Community Member

Jon,

It takes about 5 minutes after creating a new vlan on the server to proprogate down. However after this happens all new vlan created on the server to the client happens instanteously. I guess this is normal behavor depending the diameter of your network.

Hall of Fame Super Blue

David

5 mins is the default time for a summary advertisement from the VTP server. So it sounds like you are hitting this.

But when you update vlan info it should automatically send out a summary advertisement and it sounds like this is happening after that first 5 minute wait.

Not sure exactly what is happening with that first advertisement. It's like there has been no change on the VTP server so it simply waits for 5 mins then advertises out it's standard summary advertisement.

Jon

Community Member

As always, thanks again for your help.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content