Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP question

cavemanbobby
Level 1
Level 1

I was curious what would happen in this particular scenario with VTP:

I'm pre-configuring a 2960 for future deployment and have the switch in 'transparent' mode right now. Being in transparent mode, I'm configuring various gigabit ports with what will be their future VLAN ID (during the process, of course the switch automatically creates the VLAN I have assigned to the port). All is fine and no worries.

But here is my query, I plan to change the VTP mode to 'client' with all applicable VTP settings so it will sync up with the VTP server on our production network. Will VTP overwrite the existing VLAN database I have configured? Or will VTP see that I have an existing VLAN database and leave it alone?

My guess is that it will overwrite it, but I'm not 100% sure.

If it does overwrite it, it's fine. The ports I'm configuring will maintain the production network's VLAN structure.

I also assume that my ports will be left alone, since those are indivdual configs?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

cavemanbobby wrote:

I'm pre-configuring a 2960 for future deployment and have the switch in 'transparent' mode right now. Being in transparent mode, I'm configuring various gigabit ports with what will be their future VLAN ID (during the process, of course the switch automatically creates the VLAN I have assigned to the port). All is fine and no worries.

But here is my query, I plan to change the VTP mode to 'client' with all applicable VTP settings so it will sync up with the VTP server on our production network. Will VTP overwrite the existing VLAN database I have configured? Or will VTP see that I have an existing VLAN database and leave it alone?

If it does overwrite it, it's fine. The ports I'm configuring will maintain the production network's VLAN structure.

I also assume that my ports will be left alone, since those are indivdual configs?

Thanks in advance.

It will overwrite it and yes it will leave the port configs alone as long obviously that the vlans the ports are assigned to are passed from the VTP server to the client.

One word of warning. A VTP client with a higher revision number can actually overwrite a VTP servers vlan database so  make sure the revision number is lower on the switch you are adding. As it is currently running in transparent then once you switch it to VTP client it will reset the revision number to 0.

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

cavemanbobby wrote:

Thanks in advance.

It will overwrite it and yes it will leave the port configs alone as long obviously that the vlans the ports are assigned to are passed from the VTP server to the client.

One word of warning. A VTP client with a higher revision number can actually overwrite a VTP servers vlan database so  make sure the revision number is lower on the switch you are adding. As it is currently running in transparent then once you switch it to VTP client it will reset the revision number to 0.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card