Helpful
Replies

vtp synch not working between 2611 router and 2950 router

CHRIS PAGE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Hope someone here can help.

I have a 2611 router configured for inter vlan routing. This connects to a WS-C2950T-24 switch which has a trunked uplink via a BT lan extension to a WS-C2960-48TC-L switch at a remote office.

I have managed to get the router to route between devices on vlan 1 & vlan 2 by adding vlan 2 to the vlan db on the router. However the vtp will not synchronise between the router and the switches. If i add a vlan to either then they don't propogate.

If i add a vlan to any of the switches it propgates to all the other switches fine.

A show vtp counters on the router shows no traffic at all.

I've done plenty of searching and all problems i've seen seem to be sorted by modifying the vlan db which forces a synch. I've tried this and it's not worked.

Anybody got any idea why the vtp won't synchronise?

I've attached full configs for the router and the connected switch, plus a sh vtp st, sh vtp counters, and a sh vlan (sh vlan-sw)

Regards

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

The VTP does not work on the standard routed interfaces of the router. It is only present in the command set in case you have an NM-16ESW switch module installed.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

The VTP does not work on the standard routed interfaces of the router. It is only present in the command set in case you have an NM-16ESW switch module installed.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi Kevin

That would explain it.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card