Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP To enable or not to enable

Astronotus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am wondering what the real world status and opinion of VTP is?  

Are people still using it or are you pushing out configurations in a different more effective way so that vlans are propagated via another means "besides" VTP?  

Thanks,

MR

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thiland
Level 3
Level 3

I don't see it used that much in the various networks I've been on. 

VTPv1/2 should never be used on modern networks in my opinion.

It doesn't seem like there's as great of a need with designs such as L3 between campus, or flattened control plane (Cat 6800i, Nexus 7K + 2K FEX, StackWise).

However you may want to use VTPv3 if doing MST, or general VLAN propagation since it doesn't have the high accident factor its predecessors did.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

thiland
Level 3
Level 3

I don't see it used that much in the various networks I've been on. 

VTPv1/2 should never be used on modern networks in my opinion.

It doesn't seem like there's as great of a need with designs such as L3 between campus, or flattened control plane (Cat 6800i, Nexus 7K + 2K FEX, StackWise).

However you may want to use VTPv3 if doing MST, or general VLAN propagation since it doesn't have the high accident factor its predecessors did.

Hi

This is a reference:

VLAN Trunking Protocol Recommendations

VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) is a Cisco proprietary Layer 2 messaging protocol that manages the addition, deletion, and renaming of VLANs on a networkwide basis. Cisco's VTP simplifies administration in a switched network. VTP can be configured in three modes: server, client, and transparent.

As a best practice, deploying VTP in transparent mode for better VLAN control, security, and manageability is recommended.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6800-series-switches/guide-c07-733457.html

https://communities.cisco.com/thread/9801?start=0&tstart=0

I have seen many networks without VTP deployments. The network administrator must decide to use or not to use VTP. I like VTP but is important to know how it works perfectly in order to avoid any impact on the network.

As Thiland mentioned VTP version 3 can be used but take in consideration which devices support version 3.

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi All,
I am wondering what the real world status and opinion of VTP is?  
Are people still using it or are you pushing out configurations in a different more effective way so that vlans are propagated via another means "besides" VTP?  
Thanks,
MR

Hi MR,

You have got brief explanation about VTP and deployment practice by experts on this thread..I will just say the benefits of enabling VTP..and you can decide yourself while designing the switching architecture...

Better network management

VTP lowers the possible inconsistencies in configuration that normally come about once modifications are made in a network. Such inconsistencies may lead to security violations since VLANs have the capability of cross connecting when matching names are utilized.

However, VLAN Trunking Protocol offers a good mapping scheme for seamless trunking in a network that uses mixed media.

Maintains consistency

The VLAN Trunking Protocol offers the benefit of maintaining configuration consistency throughout the whole network. This is credited to the fact that VTP utilizes trunk frames for managing any changes made to the VLANs in that particular network. This is attained through the use of a central switch found in the Server mode.

Manages Cisco switches

Another vital advantage of VLAN Trunking Protocol is that it provides an effective method of managing Cisco switches like one domain or group  for configuration purposes. This means that if the VTP has been enabled on a Cisco switch, creating a VLAN on a single switch then makes the VLAN accessible to all the switches in that VTP domain.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As some of the other posters have noted, as L3 switches become more common, there's often less need for VTP.

Personally, I prefer "automation" over manual, so I prefer to use it, but some engineers consider it an accident waiting to happen, not without some justification, and disable it.  (NB: VTPv3, though, is much harder to accidentally kill your production VLAN database.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco