cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP with no vlan1

jason.henderson
Level 1
Level 1

Can vtp function in a network where vlan1 has been shutdown?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason

You can shut down the vlan 1 L3 SVI (Switched Virtual Interface) and you can clear vlan 1 from all trunks but Cisco switches will still use vlan for most management traffic. I say most as DTP actually uses the native vlan which may or may not be vlan 1.

But CDP/PaGP/VTP all still use vlan 1 regardless of what you do on the switch. By shutting down vlan 1 interface and clearing off trunks you are effectively disabling vlan 1 from being used for end devices or to manage the switch but as i say this has no effect on the majority of Cisco management traffic.

Hence the reason VTP still works.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

a.cruea1980
Level 3
Level 3

Yes.

I wish I could go farther into detail on this, but I'm not that great with VTP and it's options. I just know I have VLAN 1 shut down at home and VTP still works.

I do know, though, that you can change the interface it sends out it's updates over with the "vtp interface" command.

Cheers for that, i thought that it must still be able to work but i'm not sure how. Will need to look into it a bit more.

Jason.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason

You can shut down the vlan 1 L3 SVI (Switched Virtual Interface) and you can clear vlan 1 from all trunks but Cisco switches will still use vlan for most management traffic. I say most as DTP actually uses the native vlan which may or may not be vlan 1.

But CDP/PaGP/VTP all still use vlan 1 regardless of what you do on the switch. By shutting down vlan 1 interface and clearing off trunks you are effectively disabling vlan 1 from being used for end devices or to manage the switch but as i say this has no effect on the majority of Cisco management traffic.

Hence the reason VTP still works.

Jon

Thanks Jon, much appreciated.

Jason.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card