Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP

rc.castillo
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I Just want ask to what will happen if i have 2 switches that have same vtp domain and that this two switches are in server mode. These two switches are connected via L3 OSPf connection.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

VTP only works on layer 2 trunk link. VTP packets are sent in either Inter-Switch Link (ISL) frames or in IEEE 802.1Q (dot1q) frames.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094c52.shtml

Sureshdank
Level 1
Level 1

If both the switches are in server mode and same root brige ID then the switches will look for lowest MAC ID to make its as VTP server.

Suresh

Do you have any doc to confirmm this because i wasn't aware this was the case. You can have multiple VTP servers in your VTP domain and you can add/delete/modify vlans on one of them and the change will be propogated to all others. It is the configuration revision number that determines which VTP server sends the updates.

Jon

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rose,

In addition to Jon's comments, VTP information will propagate successfully if all appliance have the same VTP Domain, password and VTP mode is not Transparent.

If the switches have the same VTP Domain but don't have any password, then the VLAN information won't propagate.

And Jon's also correct, Revision ID is the "tie breaker" if there are 2 or more VTP Servers.

NOTE: Take it from me, I'd avoid propagating VLAN information using VTP like a plague. I have broken a LAN (my mistake) and fixed other's too many times.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card