Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VTP

Can anyone recommend a LAN card that can access multiple vlan through VTP at once. I have a cisco 2950 that has multiple Vlans and a VTP port i also have a server, i want all vlans to connect to the server. Can anyone Recommend a LAN Card. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: VTP

Hi Friend,

VTP is a cisco propritory protocol so no LAN card will work for that and VLANs are not required to be propogated to servers.

I believe your requirement is to configure a port as a trunk port so that your server can access all vlans. If yes then you need to check with LAN card vendor to provide you a card which support and understand dot1q tag.

HTH

Ankur

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

VTP is a cisco propritory protocol so no LAN card will work for that and VLANs are not required to be propogated to servers.

I believe your requirement is to configure a port as a trunk port so that your server can access all vlans. If yes then you need to check with LAN card vendor to provide you a card which support and understand dot1q tag.

HTH

Ankur

Cisco Employee

You need a LAN card with 802.1q support over it to trunk to the switch. You will not get VTP feature on the NIC as it is proprietry to Cisco.

-amit singh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content