cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wake on LAN issue across L3 switches

Darren Sasso
Level 1
Level 1

We are having trouble getting WOL to work across multiple subnets and multiple switches. We see the WOL pack on the source vlan which is an all F's broadcast. Not sure if that's a problem. Does it need to be a subnet broadcast?

What is need on the VLAN where the WOL server resides? We have added a helper to the broadcast address and but not sure what else is needed.

On the destination VLAN where the clients are we added the directed broadcast with and ACL tied to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

iyde
Level 4
Level 4

Already did and followed it but it still didn't work. The only difference between our setup is that it traverses multiple switches whereas this document stays on 1 switch still L3 though.

Darren,

Did you ever get it working? I'm trying to get CA's DSM WoL to work and below is the magic packet format:

SMAC=server, SIP=server, DIP = remote client, and DMAC =00:00:0c:07:ac:10 ("All HSRP Routers"), dest UDP port =7. I see one packet, and that is it.

I never see any broadcast, except for a DMAC of HSRP. I do not see the packet on the other end of the 6500 L3 border, as configured by:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a008084b55c.shtml

But, my question, like you, is: What is the proper/expected magic packet format that the router needs to see in order to process a directed-broadcast?

Did you get yours to work with the all Fs (network or mac-address?) broadcast.

Thanks!

We were able to get it working on the same switch but traversing  multiple L3 switches didn't work.   It was more of an experiment for us so  we gave up after wasting too much time.

If you do  figure it out please let me know.

Thanks for replying Darren. I'll let you know

if I work things out.

Mike.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card