cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wake On LAN

mattesong
Level 1
Level 1

I have WoL configured on Windows 2003 and enabled in the Bios yet I can't seem to get it to work. Is there anything I need to enable or configure on the switch? Cisco Catalyst 3750? The machine I am trying to wake the server up from is on a different VLAN.

2 Replies 2

arabindas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I beleive adding that server address as ip helper address in the vlan interfaces should do.

This is what is required from Network side for the Wake On Lan to work.

Network Side

Enable Subnet Directed Broadcasts to travel via the Router/ Switches to pass the Magic Packet.

Assign security on the routers so only the Configuration Manager site server is allowed to send the subnet directed broadcasts.

Verify the configuration works with 802.1x authentication on the switches.

Below is the Write up about the Subnet- Directed Broadcast.

Subnet-Directed Broadcast

When using subnet-directed broadcast as the transmission method for sending wake up packets to a computer within a Configuration Manager 2007 site, the site server retrieves the MAC address and IP subnet of the target computer from hardware inventory which is stored in the SQL database. The subnet directed broadcast is sent to the computer's subnet, and the magic packet is then broadcast to all computers on that subnet. Because this is a broadcast, all computers on the subnet will process the packet but only the computer that has the MAC address specified within the magic packet will respond.

This transmission method uses the subnet address rather than the individual clients IP address. It will succeed, if the target computer has changed IP addresses but remained in the same subnet. The use of subnet-directed broadcasts is the more traditional method of sending wake up packets, so this transmission method might be more compatible with a wider range of computer network adapters than transmitting wake up packets using unicast. For subnet directed broadcasts to be successful, all intervening routers must be configured to forward subnet-directed broadcasts. Subnet-directed broadcasts are not supported with IPv6

Please follow the above mandatory steps to leverage and achieve the WOL functionality.

HTH

Arabinda

redrobish
Level 1
Level 1
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card