cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN load balancing

admin
Level 1
Level 1

I want to apologize for repeating a topic that was mentioned back in Jan 8th. I created this message again because I really want to use an affordable CISCO solution and need help in picking one; I also was afraid no one would respond to an old post. So here's my request. Please help.

What router would you recommend that would allow me to load balance between two WAN connections (i.e. T1, Cable, DSL, etc)? In other words, which router would intelligently connect a user to the 2nd WAN connection if the 1st WAN connection is heavily used by other desktop users?

Now I found that DLink and Astrocom have solutions that allow users to switch to another WAN connection based on a percentage load. It's seems simple enough to implement, but I was told by a CISCO consultant that it wasn't simple and that I would need OER. What I don't understand is how can consumer products provide an affordable solution for me when CISCO can't? Or maybe I'm not understanding correctly how the 2 WAN port routers from DLink and AStrocom work.

1 Reply 1

plumbis000
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know anything about the D-Link or Astrocom devices, but as far as Cisco gear goes you will need OER if you want to do intelligent load balancing. There are a lot of features in OER that make it quite the impressive piece of technology for outbound load balancing and I know there are a lot of features on the horizon to make it even better. Most Cisco routers will support OER (based on image feature set) so I think it would come down to the device that has/supports the interfaces you need.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card