Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN technologies clarify

RomanB1005
Level 1
Level 1

hello all

I want to clarify some stuff about wan technologies ..

WAN technologies as Frame relay , PPP , ATM , X25 are defined on first , second , third iso osi layers by which physical interface can use , which encapsulation type , what rate i need to use for my services to transmit over WAN ...

this technologies commonly use serial synchronous bit oriented transmition. They can comunicate over isdn , sonet , dsl , etc  whitch are physical standarts correct ?

This physycal standarts use TDM / STDM correct ?

Which technolgy uses leased lines ?

I have a mess about this ..

2 Replies 2

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

They all can use "leased" facilites.

jas2061461
Level 1
Level 1

Say you want to connect an office in New York with an office in California.  To do so, you could contact a frame-relay, x25, ATM, or MPLS provider.  These providers have meshed together many regions, states, and countries so that your communication can travel across their backboned network.  This eliminates the need to run a cable directly from office to office.  It is scalable, because you can add another office to the provider's backboned network very easily.

Leased lines, according to the CCENT/CCNA, is usally a direct line from one router, or network, to another.  This would generally be PPP or HDLC.

I am not entirely sure about TDM and STDM.  Usually, only software engineers/developers are concerned with these features.

ATM, X25, Frame-relay, MPLS communicate over their own backbones; they are their own layer 1 & 2 protocol, more or less.  Google: "MPLS backbone", "ATM backbone", "Frame-relay backbone", "x.25 backbone", and look under images.

These connections are generally serparate from the Internet, and therefore they do not use DSL, cable, etc.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card