cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wanky CLI prompts on Catalyst 2900 XL

thomaslundin
Level 1
Level 1

I inherited three Catalyst 2900 XL switches (2924) in an office move. One of them appears to work fine, but the other two give me wanky CLI prompts when I try to configure them via the console.

One switch freezes when trying to copy config.text from flash: to system: ... the other switch doesn't let me get to the configuration setup -- it just slams right past it whether I answer Y or N to the prompt.

So are these two switches boat anchors at this point? Or does the software in flash memory need to be refreshed? And if so, can I do that without having to purchase a Cisco support contract?

It might just be cheaper and easier for me to go out and buy some unmanaged 24-port switches for a few hundred bucks, but I'd like some knowledgeable opinion before I do that.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Try formatting the flash and upload IOS again,

Format flash

2924-XL#format flash:

Format operation may take a while. Continue? [confirm]

Once the Flash was formatted please upload the image from a TFTP to the switch.

Instructions on how to upgrade are available here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc9/ol256205.htm#706188

Please do not reboot the switch until you can have uploaded the image and until you have changed the boot sequence.

Regards,

Thanks for the tip; I'll give it a try after our office move is complete over the weekend!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco