cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Websense Multicast 6500

hencar
Level 5
Level 5

I have 2x v10000 Websense Security Gateways that are connected to 2x 6500 SUP720. When I turn on cluster management function between Websense appliance, they speak to each other only if they are connected in the same 6500. When they are connected one in every 6500 cluster management does not work. They are connected on the same physical vlan. Do I need multicast to be configured in the 6500 switches? How will the configuration look like in this case.

//HC

6 Replies 6

Beetlejuice01
Level 1
Level 1

If connected on the same vlan and no layer 3 occure between 6500 it can't be a multicast problem. Whan you enable clusters the websense use a multicast mac address for example 01:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx?

njkelly10
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am having a similar problem.

Did you get your issue resolved and if so how did you fix it?

Regards,

Niall

Similar? So you have 2 6500 and websense on the same vlan but attached on 2 different switch?

Yes, we have 2 X 6509 and 2 Websense appliances each connected to a different swtich.

We have not tried connecting both Websense appliances to the same switch.

Did you get your issue resolved? Did you have to enable multicasting on the switch?

The same scenario worked previously when we had a Cisco 4500 Core infrastructure so I am wondering if there is anything different with the 6509 setup.

Regards,

Niall

Have you check if the ios on 6500 is this as recommended by Websense ? I've worked some years ago to a customer where there was 2 websense, and if i remember correctly they was connected on different switch. The 6500 are in hsrp or linked in vss? The secondary appliance is on the standby or on primary if in hsrp?

Websense recommend

To support WCCP, a Cisco switch requires the EMI or IP

services image of the 12.2SE IOS release (or later)

Simon Young
Level 1
Level 1

I have exactly the same issue, a pair of 6509 switches in a VSS pair.Two websense boxes, each connected to a different switch. The devices can not communicate using multicast.

I am running s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(33)SXJ5,

Was there any specific resolution

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card