cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Weird routing/subnet question

WStoffel1
Level 1
Level 1

If you have the subnet 24.48.75.0/24 giving you a host range of 24.48.75.1 - 254 defined on an interface

and you then have a static route statement:

ip route 24.48.75.64 255.255.255.224 X.X.X.X

Have you effectively lost 2 addresses?

Meaning, even though it's just a static route, does 24.48.75.64 become a network number and 24.48.75.95 a broadcast, and consequently unusable as host addresses? 

Thanks.

PS, I'm not looking for best practices type info, it's just hypothetical as I try to work out an possible issue...and wanted to know if my thinking was correct.

17 Replies 17

I ended up ripping out the route:

ip route 70.11.120.64 255.255.255.192 GigabitEthernet0/3

and added a secondary ip address to my gig 0/3:

ip address 70.11.120.65 255.255.255.192 secondary

now i have available hosts from 66-126 and it works as expected and when i ping 70.11.120.127 i get the expected response from pinging a broadcast address.

i think something was just left unfinished previously.  but i have a block of addresses i can use again.  thank you.

Thanks for the update. Removing the route was the reasonable thing to do.

I am glad to hear (and not at all surprised) that when you assign an address in that range to an interface that it behaves normally and that the addresses in the range act as they should.

I agree that it is most likely that someone configured the route as part of something that they were starting to do but that the activity was not completed and they forgot to remove the static route.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

In reading this thread again I have one more comment. In one of your posts you showed static routes on the router. I commented on the static route in question and about how it just pointed to the exit interface and not to a next hop. I see in that post that there was a second static route with the same concept:

ip route 70.11.122.0 255.255.255.0 GigabitEthernet0/3

I wonder if this static route is valid (does 70.11.122.0/24 exist and is it directly connected via Gig0/3)? If it is valid then I suggest that you re-write the static route and specify a next hop. And if it is not valid then remove it.

One good way to determine whether it is valid is to show arp on the router where the static route is configured. If it is valid you will see multiple addresses within that subnet with arp entries and the mac address of each entry will be different. If there are multiple arp entries and they all have the same mac address then the neighbor router is responding for that subnet and using its own mac address, which suggests that the subnet does exist but is not locally connected on gig0/3. And if there are arp entries that show as incomplete (as there were for the other subnet) then it suggests that the static route is not valid.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card