cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what does Command rejected: Fa0/1 not a switching port mean on a 3550?

acameron12
Level 1
Level 1

Trying setup a 3550-48.

The following command::

int fa0/1

switchport mode dynamic desirable

Is responded to with:

Command rejected: Fa0/1 not a switching port.

Command rejected: Fa0/1 not a switching port.

9 Replies 9

It looks like the f0/1 is configured as router port. I believe all the ports in 3550 switch are switchports by default. Someone may have configured 'no switchport' under f0/1. Enter switchport under f0/1 mode and you should be able to configure switchport commands under this int.

HTH

Sundar

I had got the same problem in port-channel configuration. I was trying to make the port-channel as trunk. 

The following command fixed my issue, 

int port-channel xx

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulaton dot1q

switchport mode trunk

HTH

kr_madan
Level 1
Level 1

configure the port as switch port and try this command.

MLS-1-1(config)#int Fa 1/1

MLS-1-1(config-if)# switchport

MLS-1-1(config-if)#

Thanks,

That was the fix. I had overlooked the obvious.

thank you so much

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

yes in layer 3 switches... you can use any port as layer 2 as well as layer 3...

normally ports are layer 2 port but if you fire the command "NO SWITCHPORT" under any interface configuration mode then that port will be come layer3 port... and to convert that layer 3 port back into layer 2 port you need to fire the command "SWITCHPORT" under perticular interface...

regards

Devang

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just do a show interface status command and it will tell you whether it is a switchport or a routed port.

franklaszlo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

the only thing I can think of that the port is configured as a L3 port. That is,

no switchport

ip address ....

commnad(s) present in the running config on the port ?

Regards,

Laszlo

imrk51
Level 1
Level 1

I too had the same problem, if the above solution doesn't fix your problem, try out with stable image of layer 3 switch. That's how I solved the issue. The stable image version is: i86bi_linux_l2-advipservicesk9-ms.nov3_2015_high_iron.bin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card