cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What happens exactly after configuring a default gateway for a host ?

chandra_rc16
Level 4
Level 4

What happens exactly after configuring a default gateway for a host ?

Actually i was doing Router on-a-stick lab...

I forgot to configure DG for PC2 in VLAN2 but i configured DG for PC1 in VLAN1. So they were unable to communicate.

When i configured DG on PC2 they're fine....

The thing that i observed here is as soon as i configured DG they're fine.. so i think something happens behind the scene that will tell

to the router about the host that configured DG.

Can someone please explain this ?

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu
4 Replies 4

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

host in vlan 1(subnet 1) wants to talk to host in vlan 2(subnet 2):

-it first need to know if the host it wants to communicate with is in the same subnet as it is, for this it is going to do a bitwise logical AND between its IP and its mask and then compare to same operation between its mask and the destination IP.

-They aren't in the same subnet so it is going to need to send the packet to a L3 device(its default gateway) which will route the packet.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Thanks Alain.

Thanks for the info.

Forgot about all the topology etc etc..

But my question is when we configure DG on a PC or SW or anything.... will that device send any information to the Gateway.. informing it that it has added you as the gateway ?

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu

Chandu

will that device send any information to the Gateway.. informing it that it has added you as the gateway ?

No, it doesn't need work that way.When a device needs to send packets to another device on a different IP subnet it those packets need to be routed. So the device sends them to it's default gateway. It's that simple. There is no need to inform the gateway, you simply send packets to it and the gateway device is then responsible for routing the packets towards the destination.

Jon

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

But my question is when we configure DG on a PC or SW or anything.... will that device send any information to the Gateway.. informing it that it has added you as the gateway ?

No, it only sends off local network packets.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card