cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What Happens when an interface Attached to a Port-Channel goes down?

MAnoj Kumar
Level 1
Level 1

What Happens when an interface Attached to a Port-Channel goes down?

I do know the Speed will reduce ( Duh !) , Apart from that any STP recalculation will happen ?

2 Replies 2

Anup Sasikumar
Level 1
Level 1

As far as my understanding goes , Interfaces which are part of a Port Channel is exempted from STP calculation . I believe , configuring bundling ports to a Port Channel can be considered as a quick way to use all the trunk ports connected .

Regards,
Anup

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Well if it's the only remaining channel link, the port-channel goes down.  If not the only remaining channel link, the port-channel continues without it.  As you note, you lose bandwidth and I believe traffic will be rehashed across the remaining channel links, which can result in less optimal load distribution.

Protocols like STP or a routing protocol shouldn't see a link outage or flap.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco