cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is a good way to monitor speeds from one switch to another?

cisco_himg
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning!

I need to find out a way to monitor speeds from our main switch to other switches throughout the building. Basically from our Main switch to each closet. Anyone know of a good way or program? Price is not an option on this. I am open to all suggesstions.

10 Replies 10

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The only app I know of that will measure speed (not utilization or volume) is Bandwidth Gauages from Solarwinds Network Engineers Toolset. I've attached a screenshot. Is this what you are looking for? Are you looking for real-time or long-term trending?

I stand corrected, Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor also shows bps for a link. This app would be used for long term trending. I'm sure there are other apps like MRTG that can also track this.

Hey there...I downloaded that. Where is the bandwidth gauge on there? I am looking but I cant see where it is on there....

For me it's here-

"C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Toolset\Bandwidth-Gauges.exe"

Awesome, i found it...Now i added the server i want on the gauge, but its wanting credentials.. Can you tell me what i should put? It says that this server doesnt respond with the surrent snmp credentials...

I appreciate you helping me on this.

Do you have SNMP configured on the server? Is it Windows or Linux?

i just enabled traffic on my asa to allow snmp traffic to this server. Its a windows server 2003. Can you tell me how to enable it?

Here's a couple of links-

Install SNMP on the server

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6176828.html

Configure SNMP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324263

Let me know when this is done and we'll drive on. You don't need to configure traps, just the community.

cool! i got it and did my first test on the gauge..i like this tool set suite. Any other cool features on this?

Netflow, the MIB tools, and the Subnet Calculator are great. Their Network Performance Monitor product is sweet too. They have a demo on their website, check it out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card