cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is considered high utilization of a gig switchport?

brianjudd
Level 1
Level 1

I am curious to know on a Cisco 2960G, how many mbps is considered high utiliztion on a single switchport?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am curious to know on a Cisco 2960G, how many mbps is considered high utiliztion on a single switchport?

Thanks.

Hi,

Cisco 2960 G series supports 1 Gbps of traffic in single switch ports,if the switch ports is expierencing a amount of traffic around 850 Mbps to 950 Mbps it almost at the end of the point of switch port bandwidth capcity.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

I am not shure there is such a definition simply since there are many opinions about this.

To answer that for myself I would say, when the link displays significantly higher throughput than the baseline.

and the baseline would then be the normality of what the port uses.

fx if the port normaly has a baseline ie it normally uses around 100 Mbit over a period of 5 minutes then I would say that if it rises to fx 200 Mbit then I would say that that is considered a high utilization of that port.

however if the port has a baseline of 400 Mbit over 5 minutes and it goes down to 200 then I would say that it has a low utilization.

so for me that is very much connected to what is normal for that port.

HTH

I guess my question was not worded very well.

Ive read in the past, that on a gigabit swtich, you will not get the full 1 gig of throughput on the port. Therefore, if my theorehetical max throughput is only 300mb, high utilization would be lik 250 mb or so.

So I'm trying to find out what people are finding as considered high port utilization ona  gigabit switchport.

I guess my question was not worded very well.

Ive read in the past, that on a gigabit swtich, you will not get the full 1 gig of throughput on the port. Therefore, if my theorehetical max throughput is only 300mb, high utilization would be lik 250 mb or so.

So I'm trying to find out what people are finding as considered high port utilization ona  gigabit switchport

We have faced a problem in out data center in past where we have seen with 1 gig port is fully utilized to 1000 Mbps as troubelshoot we then created a link aggreagation between the switch and load balancer which then resulted in solving of problem,so 1 gig port goes till 950 Mbps which we have faced.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card