cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what is the general convention of a cisco CLI error messages.

jessicaborelly
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I could not figure out if there is a general convention (format) of  cisco cli command error messages, apart from the "Invalid input", "Ambiguous command" and other syntax error messages.

Is there a way to find out if there exists a general notation for it? If a config command on a router is successful it gets back to the router prompt without any message. In case of an error (not syntax, but the logic of the command), what does the router throw as a response? Does it have a format like "%ERROR" or "%INFO".

How do I capture the various responses of the cli commands?  how do i determine the success/failure of a command. Basically, this is required to develop a script to handle the router's responses.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks.

Jessica

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I could not figure out if there is a general convention (format) of cisco cli command error messages, apart from the "Invalid input", "Ambiguous command" and other syntax error messages.

Is there a way to find out if there exists a general notation for it? If a config command on a router is successful it gets back to the router prompt without any message. In case of an error (not syntax, but the logic of the command), what does the router throw as a response? Does it have a format like "%ERROR" or "%INFO".

How do I capture the various responses of the cli commands?  how do i determine the success/failure of a command. Basically, this is required to develop a script to handle the router's responses.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks.

Jessica

Jessica,

Check out the below link on cisco ios tutorial

http://www.cisco.com/warp/cpropub/45/tutorial.htm

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes i have checked that tutorial already. It talks about only the command syntax error messages. I want to know if for any reason(not the syntax error) the command fails to run, then will the device throw any kind of response on the CLI?

Meaning, will there be any generic format of such messages so that in my script i can grep for a particular pattern and say if it failed or succeeded, right after the execution of the command?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco