cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the [host] name (and [keyword]) for the router to use in Windows 10 Telnet to configure a 4321?

I'm at Step 1 of the setup, which says to do the following:

From your terminal or PC, enter one of the following commands:
• connect host [port] [keyword]
• telnet host [port] [keyword]

One little problem (make that a couple problems actually - in Windows 10 Telnet the command appears to be "o" not "connect" or "telnet" but I digress) - What "host" name do I use? (And yes, I tried using the word "host" - without the quotes of course.)

The Cisco USB driver is loaded and is assigned to port 3 - that much I figured out. (Speed, parity etc. are all set correctly.)

But the "Cisco 4000 Series ISRs Software Configuration Guide" has zero information (that I can find) when it comes to specifics like what "host" name to use.

I even tried using the IP address "172.20.52.40" that the manual provides, still no go.

Also, what is the "keyword" seeing as that the link from the manual to the "the Cisco IOS Terminal Services Command Reference document" takes me to a page that makes even less sense - that page contains two links titled "absolute-timeout through rxspeed" and "service exec-callback through x3" whatever they are.

All I want to do is get this 4321 to the point where I can just plug an ethernet cable from it into the computer and use a browser to configure it in plain English. (The complicated stuff I will figure out once I get it running as a normal router at 192.168.1.1)

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Is there a Santa in the house this morning?

The following is the message I get when I use the word host as the [host] (I also noticed that when I tried an IP address like 192.168.0.1 or the one the manual provides that the time it takes to get the no-joy message is very noticeably longer - whereas trying 192.169.1.1 returns the no-joy message a lot faster):

Connecting To host...Could not open connection to the host, on port 3: Connect failed
Microsoft Telnet>

Thanx in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Did you get a box with the router ? The cables needed for the console connection should come with the router.

You cannot connect to the router through TELNET unless you have the VTY lines configured...

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Hello,

when you TELNET to the router, the hostname is either the name of the router (if the prompt says R_4321# then the hostname would be R_4321) or the IP address of the router. Have you configured the VTY lines on the router with 'login local' and specified a local username and password ?

when you TELNET to the router, the hostname is either the name of the router (if the prompt says R_4321# then the hostname would be R_4321) or the IP address of the router. Have you configured the VTY lines on the router with 'login local' and specified a local username and password ?

I only get, regardless of what I try, the message below (with whatever host name I try after the "Connecting To" part):

Microsoft Telnet> o Router 3
Connecting To Router...Could not open connection to the host, on port 3: Connect failed
Microsoft Telnet>

As you can see from the above, the only prompt I get is the one from Windows 10's version of Telnet.

I have also been in Device Manager (a few times) checking the port setting under 'USB Serial Device (COM3)' and have it set to what the manual on page 10 says they should be set to:

Bits per second: 9600
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: None

I should add that I did try using "Router" as the hostname (I had found that Googling: cisco 4321 "router hostname")

So I'm wondering if the problem may be something else?

I checked the installed devices and the USB driver is present as Port 3. When I switch to another USB port, the number changes so I know that the driver sees something. (When I unplug the Type B connector from the router, the driver disappears from the list until I plug it back in - also the console led on the router does turn on when it is plugged in, and the led under the AUX RJ-45 ports then turns off.)

Hello,

"Router" is indeed the factory assigned default hostname.

That said, why don't you simply connect to the console port (page 10 of the attached user guide) ?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/4400/software/configuration/guide/isr4400swcfg.pdf

"Router" is indeed the factory assigned default hostname.

I figured that out Googling it. (But thank you.)

And why doesn't the manual just say so before page 107 (I printed out all 300+ pages) - that needs to be on page 1 or in the instructions on page 10.

Hello,

when you connect to the console port do you get any output ? In general, clients used are SecureCRT, TeraTerm, or Putty .

As I showed above, all I get is Windows 10's Telnet prompt.

When I enter "o Router 3" at that prompt, all I get is "Connecting To Router...Could not open connection to the host, on port 3: Connect failed" (Then the Windows 10's Telnet prompt again.)

I know that the driver is working because when I unplug the USB cable it disappears from the list and reappears when the unit is connected.

I have checked the com setting for the port and they are what the manual says they should be.

Is there an undocumented way to talk to/setup this unit using just a ethernet cable? (My boss is calling wanting to know why it's taking five hours to set something up that should have taken less than two minutes we're Retail and tomorrow is Boxing Day.)

This is 2017 going on 2018 not 1977. Who uses serial ports, and to add insult to injury the manual mentions a DB-25 connector.

I and probably 100% of the rest of the world haven't had a com port on a motherboard in probably over 20 years, let alone one with a DB-25 connector. Where you get a DB-25 port, from Sanford & Son?

Did you get a box with the router ? The cables needed for the console connection should come with the router.

You cannot connect to the router through TELNET unless you have the VTY lines configured...

The router came in a sealed box and I have a USB cable with one of those weird tiny ends on one side.

I Googled "VTY lines" and while most of it is gibberish to me, my understanding is that it resides in the router.

How configure something that I can't connect to?

All I need to do is set its address to 192.168.1.1, enter the PPPoE info, (I'll assume that DHCP is already turned on because its job is "being a router") and go home in time for at least some luke warm leftover turkey.

Eight hours wasted so far on something that should have taken two minutes tops.

Is there anyway to set up this POS like every router should be configured - through its ethernet port with a browser?

Hello,

I have looked around, try and deinstall the driver for the USB that you have currently installed, and download and install the one linked below:

http://www.cypress.com/file/126051/download

TeraTerm

That one worked (or at least I have the "Router>" prompt now. (I tried Putty first but no go with it - it kicked out a can't find host message and exited.)

Thank you thank you.

But I am literally shocked that equipment this expensive is using technology that I personally haven't used since the 70s (okay, maybe the early 80s).

We knew that I'd have to learn the various commands over the next year or two when we start using the more advanced features that we got this unit for - but who would have thought that design lunacy was involved when it comes to getting it work as a simple router.

Requiring a terminal emulator in 2017 is sheer lunacy.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card