Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

What OSPF Area Should the Distribution Link Be In? Routed Access

Hi, Everyone

I have been working in Network Design and I came across Cisco Live Document titled " Advanced Enterprise Campus Design Routed Access (2013 Orlando) " and I stopped at the slide where it mentioned "What Area Should the Distribution Link Be In?" and within that slide it is recommended to "Configure dist to dist link as a trunk using 2 subnets, one in area 0 and one in stub area when possible".

Well, I draw one Diagram of typical Core-Distribution-Access with three possible ways that the Distribution interconnection be configured with (see picture below):Design1.jpg

• 1. Layer 3 Dist. Interconnection in Area 0 : (see picture below)
    • In case one of the access layer uplink failure, the return traffic from Dist2 (Note: Equal-cost path are considered here so both Dist1 & Dist2 are actively forwarding traffic) would follow sub-optimal path passing two-hops to get to the destination access switch (because ABR would prefer the Intra-Area route ACC2-Dist1-ACC1 over the Inter-Area route Dist1-ACC1 regardless of cost).

Design1-1-Failure.jpg

• 2. Layer 3 Dist. Interconnection in Area X : (see picture below)
    • In case one of the access layer uplink failure, the return traffic from Dist2 (Note: Equal-cost path are considered here so both Dist1 & Dist2 are actively forwarding traffic) would follow Optimal path passing one-hops to get to the destination access switch (because ABR would prefer the Intra-Area route Dist1-ACC1 (lower cost )over the Intra-Area route ACC2-Dits1-ACC1 (Higher cost)).

Design1-2-Failure.jpg

• 3. Layer 2 Dist. Interconnection : (see picture below)
    • Here the interconnection is L2 trunk with two Allowed VLANs:
      • 1. Area 0 VLAN with Interface VLAN A in both distribution used to form OSPF adjacency.
      • 2. Area X VLAN with Interface VLAN B in both distribution used to form OSPF adjacency.
      • 3. Both VLAN A and VLAN B are allowed on the trunk.
    • Here again In case one of the access layer uplink failure, the return traffic from Dist2 would follow Optimal path passing one-hops to get to the destination access switch (Same like previous case plus we have now Area 0 Continuity between Distribution switches through the interconnection link.

Design1-3-Failure.jpg

So first is it the last case what Cisco meant by “Configure dist to dist link as a trunk using 2 subnets, one in area 0 and one in stub area when possible" or they meant something else?

Second Why it is required as I can see putting the L3 Interconnection in non-backbone area has the same effect? I cannot see difference between second and last case except in case of multiple link failures?

Views
Helpful
Replies