Views
Helpful
Replies

what router to deploy CME?

Javier Mateo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I want to deploy an Unified Comunication solution in my home. I´m a DSL user, and have a cisco 7921g ip wifi phone wich I want to register to the Unified Comunication Device. What Router could I choose? It would be enough a Cisco 1861 or a Cisco 2800 Series Integrated Services Router for example ? It should be independent from the outside ( I don´t have a Sip account suscription nor a Cisco Call Manager Server). It should be enough by itself so I can register the phone to it.

Could anybody tell me what device or devices can achive this.

I have already a modem router with wich I get the adsl conection, so it would no be necesary to have a DSL port, but it would be better for me with DSL port

Thank you in advance

Javier

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

CME is not preinstalled, you still have to configure it from scratch. You will get a 2911/2921 router which comes with a UC feature licence, enabling you to configure it as a CME.

In terms of the Wifi phones, you do not need anything extra from the CME side.

You would configure a seperate SSID for your Wifi phones and give this priority over your Data SSID's. Think of the Wifi phones as a normal Wifi device, once they pickup an IP address, they will communicate with the CME.

Within the DHCP scope for the Voice Phones, you will configure the CME server address.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Thank you for your fast respond,

What about the 7921g wirelles phone?  How could I conect it to the 2811 by wifi?  Would I need a wifi Sccp protocol voice gateway?

Thank you

Javier,

That is really a question for voice forum.  I would recommend posting it on VoIP forum.

HTH

Just a word of warning:  If you want to use 2811 with CME, please DO NOT load IOS version 15.X.  This is because the IOS will look for a license code.  If you don't have a valid license code then you can't enable the voice feature set.

So you can enable voice prior to 15.x without the UC feature set? I was not even aware of this!

We use a 2921 as a CME Voice router but the last two ordered came with 15.x on as standard and we purchased the UC Voice licence on top, the client pays for it so no skin off our nose.

We choose the 2921 over the 2911 as it supports 100 IP phones instead of 50.

Thank you for your answers,

So if I buy, for example a cisco 2811 with CME preinstaled, do I need a license to register and  use my 7921g wifi phone to the 2811 router? Or you can enable and use the voice feature as previous post points?

I had no idea about this.

Thank you in advance

You dont need a license for 7921 to register. CME comes with the licenses and featuresets installed. You just need to order the CME license for the required number of devices on the router.

CME is not preinstalled, you still have to configure it from scratch. You will get a 2911/2921 router which comes with a UC feature licence, enabling you to configure it as a CME.

In terms of the Wifi phones, you do not need anything extra from the CME side.

You would configure a seperate SSID for your Wifi phones and give this priority over your Data SSID's. Think of the Wifi phones as a normal Wifi device, once they pickup an IP address, they will communicate with the CME.

Within the DHCP scope for the Voice Phones, you will configure the CME server address.

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

And just to add. You cannot support CME version higher than 8.6 on your 2811. Max 35 IP phones supported on SCCP.

Please check the compatibility notes here :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/requirements/guide/cme86spc.htm.html

hi again,

So I asume that all 2811 comes with a UC feature that enables me to configure the CME.  Does CME has any cost for me,  do I have to order a CME license that cost me money?, or is it free to download, and then I just have to configure it.

Thank you again , this post is being really helpfull for me

Javier

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: