Views
Helpful
Replies

what switch to use?

IngGerardo013
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

somebody knows what is the minimun switch (talking about level of complex) to connect it to a access point controller 4402 (4 12 APs) ?

can be a 2960 LAN lite?

The problem is the low budget to the proyect.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok.  You got a 4402 with 12 APs?

Firstly, you need to get a switch that can support Dot1Q trunking and with GigabitEthernet port (minimum of 1 and maximum of 2).  The WLC will not support 10/100BaseTx and only 1Gbs.  What SFP are you using?  GLC-T, GLC-SX-MM, GLC-LH-SM?
Next issue is how is your AP going to get powered up. Do you need PoE or power injector?

So with this you have a good reference of what switch to get.  You can start with Linksys un-managed switches to Cisco.  With Cisco you can trawl e-bay for the most basic WS-C2950T if you are using GLC-T on the WLC.  You can use 2950SX or 2950G if you are using GLC-SX-MM.  2950G if you are using GLC-LH-SM.

PS:  If you need power supply for the 1130 or 1240 let me know (or earlier).  I have a stack full and I'm willing to part with it!

If you can provide more information we can help you a bit more.

Don't forget to rate our posts if useful.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello guys,

somebody knows what is the minimun switch (talking about level of complex) to connect it to a access point controller 4402 (4 12 APs) ?

can be a 2960 LAN lite?

The problem is the low budget to the proyect.

Hi,

Cisco 2960 switches can be used with Access point connectivity .Check out the below link for more information

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_sed/configuration/guide/sw8021x.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok.  You got a 4402 with 12 APs?

Firstly, you need to get a switch that can support Dot1Q trunking and with GigabitEthernet port (minimum of 1 and maximum of 2).  The WLC will not support 10/100BaseTx and only 1Gbs.  What SFP are you using?  GLC-T, GLC-SX-MM, GLC-LH-SM?
Next issue is how is your AP going to get powered up. Do you need PoE or power injector?

So with this you have a good reference of what switch to get.  You can start with Linksys un-managed switches to Cisco.  With Cisco you can trawl e-bay for the most basic WS-C2950T if you are using GLC-T on the WLC.  You can use 2950SX or 2950G if you are using GLC-SX-MM.  2950G if you are using GLC-LH-SM.

PS:  If you need power supply for the 1130 or 1240 let me know (or earlier).  I have a stack full and I'm willing to part with it!

If you can provide more information we can help you a bit more.

Don't forget to rate our posts if useful.  Thanks.

Addendum:

You can use 2950SX or 2950G if you are using GLC-SX-MM.

You need the 2950SX-48 because the 24-port will only support 10/100BaseFx.

And thanks for the ratings.

nsengupta
Level 1
Level 1

Any switch with 1G Fiber / Copper will do. Please do not forget to take GLC- (T/SX/LH) to connect the same to the Switch. If on Fiber, please do consider the fiber module as well at the switch end.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card