cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What the heck does "fabric enabled" really mean??

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

I have searched Cisco's website high and low for a GOOD explanation of what exactly fabric enabled means but I cant find it.

Anyone have anything to offer in this regard?

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Fabric Enabled means the module has an additional connection directly onto the switch fabric.

For instance, this is a 6748 card - fabric enabled. You see both connectors in the back ? The rightmost interface connects to the Bus and the leftmost interface connect to the fabric.

http://i20.tinypic.com/2lnbb5u.jpg

I also suggest you read this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper0900aecd80673385.shtml

Eison:

Thanks, buddy. Im getting a better picture.

I am trying to recommend a robust LAN campus/user-access switch for mission critical Tier 1 sites for a financial comp.

I am thinking that the 6509 with dual SUP32-PISA is a great choice. Its not fabric enabled, though. It just uses the classic 32Gbps bus.

For the Server farm access, i was going to recommend a 6509 with dual SUP 720s and 10 Gig uplink capability.

What do you think about both recommendations?

Thank you once again

Are you planning to use the PISA for user access ? If so, I recommend looking at the 4500 line for that task.

PISA is great for distribution switch, great NBAR hardware support and SUP720 is great at the Core and/or server farm.

You know, my initial thought was to recommend the 4507R with dual sup V, but I had second thoughts after I cosidered the idea that it is getting to be an old platform.

The client is lookign for a next generation switch to support a "world class data center." I cant help but think that the 6500 may be the better platform....I am not sure.

Let me reiterate....these switches would be for the LAN/user access..

For Server access (servar farm) I would definitely use fabric enabled dual SUP 720s

Propose both and see what the budget allows.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card