cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What type of router is available to replace our Juniper 520.

jeisert
Level 1
Level 1

It has to terminate up to 4 T1 lines, have 4 Ethernet ports, be able to do multiple VPN tunnels AND send multicast to at least 6 destinations over the tunnels. Seems our Juniper 520 can only handle 3 and the next model - 1000 can only handle 4.

James (Jad) A Eisert

CSC Managed Network Services

Work: 215-323-1914

Cell: 215-651-4651

101 Tournament Drive

Mailstop: 4-2144

Horsham, PA, 19044

4 Replies 4

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The recommended replacement is a 2821 - but by default you only get 2 ethernet ports so you'd need to get some extra wics to support your 4 port requirement. There is also plenty of support for T1's.

I'm not exactly sure about the vpn/multicast requirement so could you elaborate on that?

HTH

Andrew.

Simply put the box needs to create tunnels to 6 locations and be able to send multicast traffic to all 6 locations.

This is for a cable TV lab that is sharing equipment with other labs around the world.

-Jad

Simply put the box needs to create tunnels to 6 locations and be able to send multicast traffic to all 6 locations.

This is for a cable TV lab that is sharing equipment with other labs around the world.

-Jad

Hi,

Well, Cisco kit is more based on throughput rather than hard limits. The 2821 can have 250 tunnels (1500 with accelerator module) and up to 56Mbps of IPSec throughput (140 with the module).

Similarly with multicast, there's quite a few ways of mixing multicast and vpn's but none that have such low limits as far as I remember.

Is the limit of 3 the tunnel limit, or the multicast limit on the juniper? Have you got a link to the juniper docs that might help me understand why there's such a low limit on the juniper? If we can work that out then we'll be better placed to match a Cisco feature.

Andrew.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card