cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Where's the Port Security

Howdy

I set up port security on 5 ports in packet tracer. See attach.

1) Why does sh port-security show nothing?

2) Why does it show Disabled?

3) Also if it is Disabled why does it show Secure-down. Doesn't that only happen with a violation.

I did shutdown the interface and did a no shut with no effect. Still no port security

I set it up on a single port without interface range and it still shows down.

Any experts out there on this. thanks a bunch.

int range fa0/1-5
switchport  port-security  violation  shutdown  
switchport  port-security  mac-address  sticky 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Where's the Port Security

Hello,

I don't have the Packet Tracer handy right now but if the indicated configuration is complete then I believe you are missing the command

switchport port-security

on the ports. This command actually activates the port security with the settings (sticky learning, shutdown violation reaction) you have already configured. Omitting this command is actually one of the most common errors when configuring port security.

Best regards,

Peter

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I don't have the Packet Tracer handy right now but if the indicated configuration is complete then I believe you are missing the command

switchport port-security

on the ports. This command actually activates the port security with the settings (sticky learning, shutdown violation reaction) you have already configured. Omitting this command is actually one of the most common errors when configuring port security.

Best regards,

Peter

You are absolutely right. That did it. Don't know how I missed it in the Sybex book or Odoms.

In fact I don't think Odom shows it. I like Odom's book a lot but its a bit deficient in the configuring area.

Odom said "Secure-Down" means a violation shut down the port.

I guess it also means port security has not been enabled.

thx

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content