Views
Helpful
Replies

which encryption method is the best way to secure the data tranfer

thurein min
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I want to configure the Encryption between two cisco Wan routers(3845 & 3825).

We use 50MB leased line connection and transfer the data. I also configured the QOS to limit the data transfer rate to 20MB on the same pipe and it's working fine.We also use the same pipe for trading purpose too. That's why I limit 20MB for data(copy) transfer between two hosts.

Which encryption method should I use to secure the data transfer?

Plese kinldy advise .

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Hello

You can implement GRE/IPSEC tunneling between the two routers to fullfil your requirement

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your info and prompt reply.

Regards,

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I would recommend AES256.

I would also recommend a VTI tunnel vs. GRE/IPSec.  However, both, depending on your IOS, should support AES256.

Encryption will demand more from your routers.  I think the 3845 should be able to support 20 Mbps encrypted, not as sure about the 3825.  (BTW, if you have 50 Mbps LL, why are you limited transfer rate to 20 Mbps?)

Also BTW, there's much involved in setting up encrypted tunnels for optimal performance.  Also see: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/generic-routing-encapsulation-gre/25885-pmtud-ipfrag.html

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your info and prompt reply.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: