Views
Helpful
Replies

Which IOS release is the best for me?

turbo_engine26
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

As we know, Cisco IOS software releases are so many and each release has other releases inside it, For example, the 12.4T IOS has releases such as 12.4(24)T and 12.4(15)T. This concept also applies to other releases such as 12.3,12.2 and 12.1.

To avoid confusion, i need an advice from an expert to guide me which release is the best for me. I know that it depends on my requirements and the services that i need to run in my environment such as security, voice, wireless and so on. However, what is the main release that is combining all these features in one box? ..... Do i need to compare each release manually in order to know what i need?....

I appreciate your response and support.

Regards,

A.Y.

3 Replies 3

kyukim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Deciding IOS for your router is not easy to answer as you already know.

12.4(15)T and 12.4(24)T.

Big difference is 12.4(24)T supports more features. (It has all features that 12.4(15)T supports)

So, it is better to read release notes for 12.4T train.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/release/notes/124TNEWF.html

You search which feature you need is available on what version, then you can choose.

Enterprise Advanced features set usually supports all voice, security and routing features but requires more memory to use.

KK.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Also, take a look at table 7 in the link below that shows how IOS 15.0 is packaged assuming you can run IOS 15.0.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps8802/ps10587/ps10591/ps10621/qa_c67_561940.html

HTH

Reza

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depending on the DRAM and flash of your router, I'd go to 15.1 instead of 15.0.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card