cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which is the most dominant igp in industry?

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody!

Which igp is widely used in industry?

thanks a lot!

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would have to say EIGRP or OSPF. I think EIGRP is more dominating though.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

OSPF - open standards.

EIGRP isn't used as much since it's Cisco proprietary and RIP is pretty much dead.

ISIS is used within some large enterprises and service providers but not by much.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarah

Think it really depends on the environment.

In a mixed environment (mixed in terms of vendor) then OSPF.

In a purely Cisco environment from my experience it's pretty much 50/50 as to OSPF/EIGRP.

Jon

Hello John,

before the introduction of EIGRP stub feature scalability of EIGRP was an issue.

Limiting the query range is the key point for EIGRP scalability.

I agree with Edison : EIGRP is not regarded as scalable as OSPF in large networks.

Note: Being multivendor ready can be a customer requirement or a wise suggestion

for a consultant.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

"In a purely Cisco environment from my experience it's pretty much 50/50 as to OSPF/EIGRP.

Zeeshan, if you're wondering why a pure Cisco network might run OSPF rather than EIGRP, it also avoids being locked into a proprietary routing protocol. You always have the option of using Brand X.

8 Replies 8

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would have to say EIGRP or OSPF. I think EIGRP is more dominating though.

HTH,

John

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

OSPF - open standards.

EIGRP isn't used as much since it's Cisco proprietary and RIP is pretty much dead.

ISIS is used within some large enterprises and service providers but not by much.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison,

"EIGRP isn't used as much since it's Cisco proprietary..."

I agree any interaction between Cisco devices and non-Cisco couldn't use EIGRP, but would you still hold the same notion that OSPF is a bigger player if all Cisco equipment is used?

I would figure that the ease of setting EIGRP up as compared to OSPF would make it a more reasonable choice.

John

but would you still hold the same notion that OSPF is a bigger player if all Cisco equipment is used?

Yes

I would figure that the ease of setting EIGRP up as compared to OSPF would make it a more reasonable choice.

Both protocols have their pros and cons but many find OSPF easier to manage in large deployments.

__

Edison.

Hello John,

before the introduction of EIGRP stub feature scalability of EIGRP was an issue.

Limiting the query range is the key point for EIGRP scalability.

I agree with Edison : EIGRP is not regarded as scalable as OSPF in large networks.

Note: Being multivendor ready can be a customer requirement or a wise suggestion

for a consultant.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarah

Think it really depends on the environment.

In a mixed environment (mixed in terms of vendor) then OSPF.

In a purely Cisco environment from my experience it's pretty much 50/50 as to OSPF/EIGRP.

Jon

"In a purely Cisco environment from my experience it's pretty much 50/50 as to OSPF/EIGRP.

Zeeshan, if you're wondering why a pure Cisco network might run OSPF rather than EIGRP, it also avoids being locked into a proprietary routing protocol. You always have the option of using Brand X.

One other point worth making. Within the campus environment Cisco themselves recommend using EIGRP with summarisation over OSPF for faster convergence in a high availability environment. OSPF has throttles for both LSA generation and the SPF calculation and these can increase convergence times over EIGRP significantly.

Certainly in the UK BT is one of the major MPLS providers and they are, or at least were at the time, in favour of using BGP to peer from customer sites to their PE devices. This being the case each site ends up with it's own EIGRP AS that is not connected to any other EIGRP AS.

Also OSPF is a more complex protocol and does not necessarily map as easily into a campus environment.

So with the advent of MPLS and at least in the area i work in which involves the use of BGP to peer to MPLS WAN, EIGRP is a quite a sound choice.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: