Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Why 4507 logging rate-limited?

We are not running any QoS policing on our 4507R's. However, we have recently noticed syslog messages being rate-limited, as below:

Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 43 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes

, 0 overruns, xml disabled, filtering disabled)

Console logging: level debugging, 4756 messages logged, xml disabled,

filtering disabled

Monitor logging: level debugging, 21 messages logged, xml disabled,

filtering disabled

Buffer logging: level debugging, 4798 messages logged, xml disabled,

filtering disabled

Exception Logging: size (8192 bytes)

Count and timestamp logging messages: disabled

So my question is what mechanism is causing those 43 messages to be rate-limited? I'm having a hard time finding relevant documentation.

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: Why 4507 logging rate-limited?

Logging rate-limit is discussed on this document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/netmgmt/command/reference/nmg_02h.html#wp1055973

It has nothing to do with QoS rate-limiting.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks for the reply, Edison.

However, we have no rate-limiting set on logging, and the doc you pointed me to says the default is for no limiting. So I'm still wondering why the "sh logg" output I posted in my first message says 43 messages to syslog were rate-limited.

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Correct. However, there are things sent to the console and/or buffer that are rate-limited independent of the rate-limit setting I described on the previous command.

ACLs for instance have a setting to limit the amount of messages that are sent to the logging service for processing. Perhaps those 43 messages were ACLs with a log option. I don't recommend changing the default setting on the ACL threshold but if you want to, take a read to this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/secure/configuration/guide/tsaclovw.html#wp1057179

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks. We've been testing ACL logging, so those may very well be the culprit.

Views
Helpful
Replies