Views
Helpful
Replies

Why an Active switch HSRP after a reload does no get Active mode

IngGerardo013
Level 1
Level 1

Hello engineers,

I am trying a basic HSRP configuration for a new implementation, tests have been 0.k. However after we power on the fisrt switch (L3) (active switch that   was previoulsy power off to test redundancy ) this switch, is on a standby switch! I mean it does not recover Active title. Instead now is standby. does not come back to be Active like was before power off.

is this normal?

Another question, is/are there any way to restart the router HSRP election (who´s active and who´s standby) between 2 switches with out to restart switches?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

For the previously Active router to claim its role (as active), you can use 'standby preempt' option. For failover , you can use interface tracking than reload. Check the below link..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e8c.shtml

hth

MS

View solution in original post

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

By default preemtion is disabled so if you want your Active device to be active again you'll have to configure preemption for the standby group with standby preempt command.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

For the previously Active router to claim its role (as active), you can use 'standby preempt' option. For failover , you can use interface tracking than reload. Check the below link..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e8c.shtml

hth

MS

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

By default preemtion is disabled so if you want your Active device to be active again you'll have to configure preemption for the standby group with standby preempt command.

Regards

Alain

thanks mvsheik123 and cadet alain,

Since the begin of the test, I have configurated this command on both switches.. but the Active switch does not claim his role, maybe because the standby switch also has configurated standby preemp command...

I am going to check the literature provided by mvsheik123...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card