Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Why did the trace NOT show the other switches in between?

I have a PC that is connected to a switch (A) in a network. Switch A has many switches in between and connects to another switch B. When I did a trace to the server, the last switch I see in the result is switch B. Also, when I checked to which port of switch B that the server was connected, It showed as Po1. When I did a show cdp neighbor for the interfaces for the interfaces involved inthe bundle, I get a switch and then another. Why did the trace NOT show the other switches in between? Why did I get an arp on Switch B? Could some one explain?

Everyone's tags (5)
1 REPLY

Why did the trace NOT show the other switches in between?

It's hard to tell, but if you have L2 switches, the addresses on those L2 switches are for management purposes only and you won't see a response from a trace. The only time you'll see a response is when the packet is routed between devices and not switched. You'll get an arp request/response across a single vlan. If you have vlan 10 across 10 switches, all 10 switches will see an arp request because they're broadcasted throughout the whole vlan.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies