Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Why I can't reach a distant LAN IP of a router, from a PC and not from a router?

Hi,

When I try to trace the LAN of a router from another cisco router, it stops on the WAN, but when trying from a  Win7 PC it reaches.

Is there a reason?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES

Why I can't reach a distant LAN IP of a router, from a PC and no

It depends on what it uses as the source address when you traceroute from a Router.

The wan. And there is a public IP there

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Have you checked that there are routes on the return path for the router IP.

Jon

Well, I don't have access to the distant router to perform a bi-directional, but what I understand is that if the ping responds successfully is because both routes are know, correct?

The strange is that pinging from a PC it goes correctly.

Windows uses icmp for traceroute whereas Cisco uses UDP. Your traffic on the other end may be allowing icmp messages through, but not udp. I believe Linux uses udp as well, so if you have access to a Linux server and this is the cause, you should see the same result as the router does.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Hall of Fame Super Blue

but what I understand is that if the ping responds successfully is because both routes are know, correct?

Yes, but if the PCs IP may be from a different IP subnet than the routers IP so havng routes for the PC's IP does not necessarily mean there are routes for the router's IP.

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies