cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why not use the VSS on the 6500?

jgiles
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2 6509-E's with the VS-S720-10G-3C sups. We are currently using the switches in active / standby scenario but have all the hardware necessary to turn on the VSS mode. I see many advantages in going to the VSS system but am curious what, if any, are the reasons I shouldn't or couldn't. The modules we have are the FWSM, 6 WS-X6748-GE-TX, WS-X6724-SFP and the VS-S720-10G.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jay

8 Replies 8

The only reason I can see for enabling the VSS stuff is if you need Layer-2 services between the two 6500 chassis. The main drivers are clustering (i.e. MS Load Balancing Clusters) and VMWare (or MS Virtual Server etc). Other than that I see no benefits in using the VSS features.

Personally I wouldn't touch it as there are Layer-3 alternatives I prefer, however it makes it easy to deploy servers & clusters in the same common Layer-2 domain.

HTH

Andy

Jay,

based on the information you have provided, one reason for NOT going to VSS just yet is that FWSM is not supported.

The support will be added in the next release.

Regards,

Mustafa

ralphcarter
Level 1
Level 1

I believe you also have to make sure you have the compatible DFC 3C cards for the 48 and 24 cards.

CCIE 26175
www.techsnips.com

jgiles
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Andrew,

Actually I was more curious if there were reasons NOT to go VSS. There are a few features that we would really like to utilize.

Hello Ralph,

We have all the correct distributed forwarding cards for this. so we are good to go there. Thanks

more curious reasons NOT to go VSS are

VSS does not support FWSM.

only NAM is supported.

RE: "VSS does not sopport FWSM. onle NAM is supported."

Cicso claims different so i am curious if you have had some bad experiences that you can share, or is this just "breaking news"

Replied by: bsivasub - Product Management, CISCO SYSTEMS - Jun 26, 2008, 10:24am PST

VSS supports the following service modules - FWSM, WiSM, ACE, IDSM and NAM in 12.2(33)SXI.

If you have 2 service modules, one in each chassis, it is similar to having 2 service modules in the SAME chassis.

Note: CSM is NOT supported in VSS mode.

12.2(33)SXI is not ready yet.

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jay,

FYI.. 12.2(33)SXI for the Catalyst 6500 has been posted on cisco.com and this version of software does support FWSM with VSS.

Release Notes for the Catalyst 6500 Series and Cisco 7600 Series Firewall Services Module, 4.0(x)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm40/release/notes/fwsmrn40.html

Regards,

Arul

*Pls rate if it helps*

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: