Views
Helpful
Replies

Why only one VLAN "no shut" at one time

scottcummins
Level 1
Level 1

Good day All

I have two 2950's I am using as access layer switches that are uplinked to gateway switches VIA LACP port-channels. I have the VLAN"s IP'ed on the access layer switches. and I am not having any trouble with devices connected to the 2950's seeing the network. I have two questions, I can't seem to Telenet to those switches even with my LINE VTY configured and I also remember something about only one VLAN  being able to be "no shut" at a time But I can't tremember the issue. Can anyone give me a push in the right direction??

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Kelvin Willacey
Level 4
Level 4

The switch operates at layer two so you can only have one VLAN interface active. As far as not being able to telnet, is the switch in the same subnet as your PC? If not then you will need a default-gateway on the switch?

View solution in original post

Hi in 2950 only one vlan can be active at a time .

So can make your management vlan active by no shut

other vlan will work accordingly

ip-default gateway can be configured by ip-default gatway command.

***DO RATE HELPFUL POSTS***

Jawad

Jawad

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Kelvin Willacey
Level 4
Level 4

The switch operates at layer two so you can only have one VLAN interface active. As far as not being able to telnet, is the switch in the same subnet as your PC? If not then you will need a default-gateway on the switch?

AHA!! That is what I thought, can I use any VLAN as the Gateway or do I need the one that is currently NO SHUT

Hi in 2950 only one vlan can be active at a time .

So can make your management vlan active by no shut

other vlan will work accordingly

ip-default gateway can be configured by ip-default gatway command.

***DO RATE HELPFUL POSTS***

Jawad

Jawad

AHA!! That is what I thought, can I use any VLAN as the Gateway or do I need the one that is currently NO SHUT

Configuring a default-gateway is optional as there's only "one way out".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card