Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Why SW-3850 loses config after reload even though config is saved?

Configuration is saved on 3850 switch and it loses everything when it is reloaded. There is no signs of hardware failure as far as I can tell

Everyone's tags (1)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hi Gaberivas,I cannot be 100%

Hi Gaberivas,

I cannot be 100% sure, however we see this issue every now and then on the 3850 and its due to one simple thing.  If you are using a ethernet jack with a "boot" on it in port 1, it very likely is resting on the "reset button."  The cable boot is making extended contact with the mode button resulting in Express Setup being invoked. The following messages are seen when this issue is encountered on the WS-3850-48 or other IOS-XE based switch:

##########################
%SYS-7-NV_BLOCK_INIT: Initialized the geometry of nvram
%EXPRESS_SETUP-6-CONFIG_IS_RESET: The configuration is reset and the system will now reboot
%SYS-5-RELOAD: Reload requested by NGWC led process. Reload Reason: Reload command.
%STACKMGR-1-RELOAD_REQUEST: 1 stack-mgr: Received reload request for all switches, reason Reload command 
%STACKMGR-1-RELOAD: 1 stack-mgr: Reloading due to reason Reload command 

There is an easy workaround to prevent this:

Disable Express Setup with the following command:
# config t
#
(config) no setup express

Or remove the the cable boot from the cable installed in port 1.

Field Notice:  http://www-tac.cisco.com/Support_Library/field_alerts/fn63697.html

HTH

Luke

Cisco Employee

Hi Gaberivas,Could you check

Hi Gaberivas,

Could you check what is the current value of the configuration-register? Does it look like Configuration register is 0x142 (will be 0x102 at next reload).

++ If so, this is a known software caveat documented in Bug: CSCui51930 and also in Bug: CSCui54490. These bugs haven been fixed yet, but, there is a permanent work around in place. The configuration-register value needs to be 0x102.

++ Boot the switch into ROMMON mode.
++ Check if the SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG bit is set to 1 using the set command.
++ Issue the command unset SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG so as to include the STARTUP config
contents when it boots up.

++ Then, boot the switch up and check if the issue is resolved. I have seen this in multiple customer cases and this has caused the issue almost every time.

Thanks,

Arun

6 REPLIES

Hi Gaberivas,Have you checked

Hi Gaberivas,

Have you checked the configuration register value? I know values such as 0x2142 will ignore the contents of NVRAM.

- Marcus

Hi nbarnovsky1,I do not

Hi nbarnovsky1,

I do not believe switches use configuration register like routers do, at least not the 3850 switches. There is a boot variable that you can change for that so instead of using NVRAM it uses another memory to read saved configurations but I checked that and the variable is at its default setting, which reads configuration files from the NVRAM. I have tested this by issuing "copy running-config startupconfig" and then "show startup" to make sure configuration was saved. After a reload all is gone...

Thanks, This was my issue

Thanks, This was my issue

Cisco Employee

Hi Gaberivas,I cannot be 100%

Hi Gaberivas,

I cannot be 100% sure, however we see this issue every now and then on the 3850 and its due to one simple thing.  If you are using a ethernet jack with a "boot" on it in port 1, it very likely is resting on the "reset button."  The cable boot is making extended contact with the mode button resulting in Express Setup being invoked. The following messages are seen when this issue is encountered on the WS-3850-48 or other IOS-XE based switch:

%SYS-7-NV_BLOCK_INIT: Initialized the geometry of nvram
%EXPRESS_SETUP-6-CONFIG_IS_RESET: The configuration is reset and the system will now reboot
%SYS-5-RELOAD: Reload requested by NGWC led process. Reload Reason: Reload command.
%STACKMGR-1-RELOAD_REQUEST: 1 stack-mgr: Received reload request for all switches, reason Reload command 
%STACKMGR-1-RELOAD: 1 stack-mgr: Reloading due to reason Reload command 

There is an easy workaround to prevent this:

Disable Express Setup with the following command:
# config t
#
(config) no setup express

Or remove the the cable boot from the cable installed in port 1.

Field Notice:  http://www-tac.cisco.com/Support_Library/field_alerts/fn63697.html

HTH

Luke

Cisco Employee

Hi Gaberivas,Could you check

Hi Gaberivas,

Could you check what is the current value of the configuration-register? Does it look like Configuration register is 0x142 (will be 0x102 at next reload).

++ If so, this is a known software caveat documented in Bug: CSCui51930 and also in Bug: CSCui54490. These bugs haven been fixed yet, but, there is a permanent work around in place. The configuration-register value needs to be 0x102.

++ Boot the switch into ROMMON mode.
++ Check if the SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG bit is set to 1 using the set command.
++ Issue the command unset SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG so as to include the STARTUP config
contents when it boots up.

++ Then, boot the switch up and check if the issue is resolved. I have seen this in multiple customer cases and this has caused the issue almost every time.

Thanks,

Arun

After looking at the switch

After looking at the switch logs, I was able to see the switch has had "Express Setup" activated. Even though the suggestion by Luke makes sense, there was no cable with the cover thing pressing the mode button so I believe someone might have pressed it.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content