cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why this basic dot1q configuration is not working ?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, can you help me on this ?

I am following the configuration from the link below.

From workstation1, I can ping the default the router successfully. However, I can't ping anything from workstation2. My goal is to ping from workstation1 to workstation2 and vice-versa. Can you please suggest how I can troubleshoot this ? Diagram and router, switch config is attached.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk390/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

28 Replies 28

Ah, sorry, I forgot to tell you that I tried before 'show interface fa0/1 trunk' and that was a not valid command.

Switch#show int fa0/1 switchport

Name: Fa0/1

Switchport: Enabled

Administrative mode: trunk

Operational Mode: trunk

Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Negotiation of Trunking: Disabled

Access Mode VLAN: 0 ((Inactive))

Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Trunking VLANs Enabled: ALL

Trunking VLANs Active: 1,2,4

Pruning VLANs Enabled: 2-1001

Priority for untagged frames: 0

Override vlan tag priority: FALSE

Voice VLAN: none

Appliance trust: none

Switch#show interface fa0/1 trunk

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Switch#

: FAB0501M2K0

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5.2)XU, MAINTENANCE IN

TERIM SOFTWARE

Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 17-Jul-00 17:35 by ayounes

Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x00301F3C

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

Switch uptime is 2 hours, 14 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5.2-XU.bin"

cisco WS-C2912-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 8192K/1024K byte

s of memory.

Processor board ID FAB0501M2K0, with hardware revision 0x01

Last reset from power-on

Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software

Cluster command switch capable

Cluster member switch capable

12 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

I think I see the problem; add the following config to your switch and let us know if it helps.

!

interface VLAN2

ip address 10.10.11.2 255.255.255.0

no shutdown

!

Hi,

I've done as per your recommendation, but no improvement. I noticed that 'show int vlan 2' continues to display the interface as down, in spite of my 'no shutdown' commands. Any ideas ?

show run

Building configuration...

Current configuration:

!

version 12.0

no service pad

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

no service password-encryption

!

hostname Switch

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

ip subnet-zero

!

!

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

--More-- switchport mode trunk

!

interface FastEthernet0/2

switchport access vlan 2

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet0/3

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet0/4

!

interface FastEthernet0/5

!

interface FastEthernet0/6

!

interface FastEthernet0/7

!

interface FastEthernet0/8

!

interface FastEthernet0/9

!

interface FastEthernet0/10

!

--More-- interface FastEthernet0/11

!

interface FastEthernet0/12

!

interface VLAN1

ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

!

interface VLAN2

ip address 10.10.11.2 255.255.255.0

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

shutdown

!

ip default-gateway 10.10.10.1

!

line con 0

transport input none

stopbits 1

line vty 0 4

login

line vty 5 15

--More-- login

!

end

Switch#

User Access Verification

Password:

RouterB>en

Password:

RouterB#show run vlan

Virtual LAN ID: 1 (IEEE 802.1Q Encapsulation)

vLAN Trunk Interface: Ethernet0/0.1

This is configured as native Vlan for the following interface(s) :

Ethernet0/0

Protocols Configured: Address: Received: Transmitted:

IP 10.10.10.1 0 0

Virtual LAN ID: 2 (IEEE 802.1Q Encapsulation)

vLAN Trunk Interface: Ethernet0/0.2

Protocols Configured: Address: Received: Transmitted:

IP 10.10.11.1 48 9

RouterB#

albayrak8791
Level 1
Level 1

What kind of router you are working with.

Because it seems like you have 10mbps interfaces and there is no way you can do intervlan routing on 10 mbps interfaces.min speed is 100 mbps...

Thanks for your help !

It is a C2610, ethernet (10Mb/s) interface.

I heard reports from multiple people saying that they were able to make this work even in a 10Mb/s interface(?). Confusing. Well, I will see if I order one fastethernet interface and put an end to this for good. Hold on please. I will be back as soon as I receive my fastethernet interface.

Hi, I think the issue is with the Native statement. Firstly trunking using dot1q definetly works on 10mb interfaces. When you trunk between a router & switch the sub-interfaces are always tagged on the router. If you add an IP address on the main interface then this will be untagged and will be considered to be Native VLAN. I know there is the option of adding the Native keyword under the encapsulation command but I could not get this to work. If you want to use the Native/untagged VLAN try configuing an address on the main interface.

So in your example configure Vlan1 IP address on the main interface on the router.

news2010a,

interface VLAN2 on the switch is showing down because you haven't issued "no shutdown" on it :) Do that and see what happens.

Mark;

I have seen the native VLAN work plenty of times on subinterfaces. Just for common courtesty for future engineers, it is bad practice to use the main interface along with sub-interfaces, however it will work.

Everyone else;

It IS possible to use trunking on regular ethernet interfaces!! I have used this particular router with a cat3550 and used dot1q trunking in the same fashion!

Adam, as I said in my previous post, I did issue the command 'no shutdown' - multiple times actually. However, VLAN2 continues down, down.

Any idea what could be causing this to remain down in spite of my 'no shutdown' commands ?

Everything looks fine, I'm stumped

I already restarted the switch, I swaped workstation1 with workstation2 ports, but same behavior. No improvement.

2912XL is a pure L2 beast and support only one management vlan configured with ip address, that's why your vlan2 stays in shutdown mode. remove static routes from workstation and configure them with respective default gateways. disable pruning for vlan 2 on the switch.

As another poster indicated your int vlan 2 is shutdown because you can only have 1 layer 3 SVI up at any one time on layer 2 switch because all that address does is manage the switch , has no effect on any routing so you can either have a vlan 1 address manage the switch or have vlan 2 address manage the switch in which case you will have to do a shutdown on vlan 1 and a no shut on vlan 2 . Also you would have to change your default gateway to the layer3 routing devices address for the vlan 2 subnet . If you need to have both networks on the switch then of course you have to get the trunking working between the 2900 and the router .

I tried that. I did shutdown on vlan1, I did 'no shut' on vlan2. Then vlan2 went up. I also removed the static entries from the workstations and used the default-gateway instead. I turned off vtp pruning on the swtich.

No improvement.

Hi Adam,

Can you provide a link which states it's bad practice to use the main interface? In addition I have lab tested this form of trunking several times and on the IOS versions I have used I could only get the Native VLAN working on the main interface. The Native command did not work on the IOS version I'm using. It may be IOS dependant bet perhaps you can provide versions of IOS where you have this working?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card