cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why this error while copying IOS files.

jayaraj.nair
Level 1
Level 1

I was trying to upgrade the IOS of my cisco 7206VXR having ATA PCMCIA card from my local ftp server. Following errors are genarating while issuing the copy commands.

What is wrong with it .

14 Replies 14

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Jay

Are you able to ping the FTP server from your router and also have you mapped the local directory of the FTP server to the directory where you have the IOS (.bin) file ?

Also did you try formatting the Disk0 before loading the ios code ?

Also try simple copy ftp disk0 instead of mentioning copy ftp://192.168.5.2 disk0

regds

Hi Kumar,

1.Are you able to ping the FTP server from your router and also have you mapped the local directory of the FTP server to the directory where you have the IOS (.bin) file ?

Yes

2. Also did you try formatting the Disk0 before loading the ios code ?

Yes

3.Also try simple copy ftp disk0 instead of mentioning copy ftp://192.168.5.2 disk0

Still the same.

Thanks for the help

Regds

Jay

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The error is: (No such device)

This means that the ftp server (ftp://192.168.5.2) from which you want to load the file is not available.

Perhaps this machine is only running tftp?

Regards,

Leo

Hi Leo,

Ftp is up and running.

Thanks

Regards

Jay

OK Jay, then you must check that there is an incoming connection from the router.

There seems to be a connectivty problem although it may also be that the file you want to copy is not in the directory where the session connects.

Regards,

Leo

pieterddejong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When you use Internet explorer to test your FTP, you enter a username/ password. Once you have done this, are you directed to the directory of your image? If not, the router cannot access where the image is on the ftp. Make sure the correct root dir on the ftp server is associated with the correct user.

See the format for using ftp:

Router# copy flash-filesystem:filename ftp:[[[//[username

[:password]@]location]/directory]/filename]

Once you have confirmed the FTP is working 100%, try the command again and enter your username/ password when executing the command.

ie: copy ftp://username:password@192.168.1.1/imagename.bin

slot0

Hi,

This I already tried out and noting is wrong with it.

Another thing I found is getting the same error when I try a copy run tftp.

Thanks

Jay

Hello,

Below you find the command:

copy ftp://192.168.5.2 disk0:/

Let me know if the above solve your problem,

Regards,

Hi,

This seems an issue related to flash/IOS.I have the vty session used for the copy command is still active and I am not able to clear it.

Also I am having the following outputs.

sh file descriptors

File Descriptors:

FD Position Open PID Path

0 0 0001 39 ftp://192.168.5.2/c7200p-ipbasek9-mz.124-4.XD5.bin

sh processes cpu | in 39

39 1404 2473 567 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% 3 Virtual Exec

pieterddejong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you ensure that you donot have any access lists between the router & ftp/tftp server? If so, can you temp remove them and try again?

Hello,

There is no acl's acting between them.

Regds

Jay

Hi Jay,

Please post the output from the following commands from your router:

telnet 192.168.5.2 69

and

telnet 192.168.5.2 21

Thanks

Ahmed Elnagar
Level 1
Level 1

I have exaclty the same problem but no solution till now, anyone find a solution for this?

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You're copying a file from FTP to your router disk0

I find something wrong with the error attachment. Why there is a space between "ftp://192.168.5.2" and "/c7200p-ipbasek9-mz.124-4.XD5.bin" ?

Try to eliminate the space as that is the reason for "(no such device)" error.

I usually use the following;

copy ftp://192.168.5.2/c7200p-ipbasek9-mz.124-4.XD5.bin disk0:/c7200p-ipbasek9-mz.124-4.XD5.bin

Make sure you have exatly this file c7200p-ipbasek9-mz.124-4.XD5.bin in the root directory of your FTP server.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card