cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will a 10G SR SFP work in a TwinGig Converter Module

BrianChernish
Level 1
Level 1

I have Qty 2 - "WS-C3560E-48PD" Network Switches which have 2x10Gig ports in them.  Currently they have Twin Gig Converter Modules installed with "10/100/1000BaseTX SFPs" installed in them.

If I replace the "10/100/1000BaseTX SFPs" with 10G SR SPFs will they work?  If they work, will I get 10G or 1G of bandwidth?

On another note, what is the correct way to "daisy chain" the following switches:

2 x C3560E 48PD POE switches

1 x 3560G 24 Port POE

and

a Pair of C3650-48PQ switches which are "Stacked" with a stacking cable - rundancy mode "sso"

Thank you in advance,

Brian

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I replace the "10/100/1000BaseTX SFPs" with 10G SR SPFs will they work?  If they work, will I get 10G or 1G of bandwidth?

No, in order to go from 1Gig to 10G, you need this optic:

XENPAK-10GB-SR=

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/10GE_Tx_Matrix.html

As for your switches, the 3650s should be stacked using 2 stacking cable. As for other switches (3560E) if you have a distribution switch, it is better idea to uplink all your access switches to the distro switch(s) and not daisy chain them using Ethernet cables, if not you can daisy chain them but make sure the STP is working correctly and is blocking redundant connections.

HTH

I believe X2-10GB-SR= is suitable for C3560E, not the XENPAK...  and, of course,  the X2 will have to replace the "whole" TwinGig (not just "half" of it).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card