cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will Cisco 857 solve my problem?

canyondsl
Level 1
Level 1

My ADSL provider loses sync during bad weather and cannot do anything about it. The issued modem also drops the connection. My problem is I have to travel 60 miles to power cycle the modem(s) to regain dsl service. If this only happened occasionally I wouldn't be on this forum.

I called Cisco to see if they had a product which would reconnect the dsl signal automatically when it became available again. (saving me time and money)

The 857 integrated router was recommended.

Today I was able to replace the issued modem with the 857 and was successful in gaining Internet access with an WinXP box. Not a problem.

I then tried to connect a linux box but was unable to gain Internet access.

My two questions-

#1 Will the 857 autoconnect after a dropped connection? If not, can you guide me to a solution.

#2 Can this unit be setup with a Suse linux box? I believe I set basics correctly but still no luck.

This is my first exposure to Cisco products and I'm still new to dsl and linux.

Thanks for reading this and have a great evening.

Thank You for your assistance.

3 Replies 3

jipurser
Level 1
Level 1

Hey CanyonDSL,

As for question 1: Yes it should only be administrativily down, so it should pop back up.

As for question 2:

I think I may know your issue here since I have thought that I could create an emulator at a Linux console (monitor) by setting the environment variable TERM to the type of terminal they would like to emulate, like VT 100. When it did not work I was wondering why not? Linux actually emulates term type; Linux. Setting the TERM environment variable to any type of terminal other than "Linux" will not result in emulating that other terminal, it corrupted my interface since I have falsely declared that my terminal is of a type different from what it actually is.

For Linux term emulation, I have had good luck with Minicom. Seyon also works, but Minicom seems to be better. If you are a ProComm user, you can do this also if you run DOSemu.

With gas prices what they are, don?t forget that you can also plug a modem into the console port with the config:

Router(config)# line console 0

Router(config-line)#

Router(config-line)# modem enable

Router(config-line)# exit

Router(config)# line aux 0

Router(config)# flowcontrol hardware

Now you can dial into the router and access the console port. Beats driving!

Thank You for the prompt reply.

I'm glad to hear I've got the correct hardware. I'll give Minicom a try and see what happens.

Thanks Again for the great advice.

Nice answer JimmyRay!! Definitely worth 5 points!

Take care.

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card