Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will I able to Ping the PC

I have a 2950 switch, one PC is connected to one port of the switch with a IP address 10.0.0.1 and another PC is connected to one more port with a IP address 192.168.1.1

Both the PCs do not have a Gateway address and there is now router in the topology.

My question is will i be able to ping one PC from the other one. If yes how it will work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Siva

Your post is not clear whether both PCs are in the same VLAN on the 2950. If they are not in the same VLAN then they will not be able to ping each other since there is no router to provide inter VLAN routing. If they are in the same VLAN then they are in the same broadcast domain and are able to talk to each other at layer 2. If the PCs will ARP for each other they will learn the MAC of each other and be able to ping.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Siva

Your post is not clear whether both PCs are in the same VLAN on the 2950. If they are not in the same VLAN then they will not be able to ping each other since there is no router to provide inter VLAN routing. If they are in the same VLAN then they are in the same broadcast domain and are able to talk to each other at layer 2. If the PCs will ARP for each other they will learn the MAC of each other and be able to ping.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick

Thanks for the update. The PCs are in the same VLAN.

Siva

I am glad that my explanation was helpful.

Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was successfully answered (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that an answer did resolve the question. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick

Thanks for reply.

I have posted on more question related to DTP

Hi Rick,

It may not good diverse.

As your prior post to sivasubramanian query that If they are not in the same VLAN then they will not be able to ping each other since there is no router to provide inter VLAN routing If they are in the same VLAN then they are in the same broadcast domain and are able to talk to each other at layer 2.

Rick if there was vlans created then the vlan interface id to be the gateway for PCs in that particular vlan am i right? I think then only vlan's will work out. But here the query is without gateway how it will?

When we'll create vlan in router interface we should use the int. ID also am i right?

Experts can anybody explain about my post it would be most prized.

Thanks in advance,

Naidu.

Naidu

I am not sure that I understand very well your questions. I will try to explain and if it is not what you are looking for then perhaps you can clarify the questions.

In the original post from Siva one of the conditions that he described was that there was no gateway. As I said in my post if there is no gateway and the PCs are in different VLANs then the PCs can not talk to each other. If the PCs are in the same VLAN then they can communicate at layer 2. And if you get the PCs to ARP for each other then they can communicate with each other using IP.

Your question seems to focus on the gateway aspect. If the layer 2 switch has configured more than 1 VLAN then there must be some layer 3 gateway to provide routing between the VLANs. That gateway might be a layer 3 switch which would configure VLAN interfaces for each VLAN and to provide routing between the VLANs using the VLAN interfaces. Or the gateway might be a router which is connected to the swtich using a switch trunk port. On the router there would be configured subinterfaces for each VLAN and the router would route between the VLANs using the subinterfaces.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: