cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

will there be a flap if we configure a port to spanning tree port fast ?

pcclonescisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have a server connected to a access port with a default config and its in production. Right now, i want to configure that port to "spanning tree port fast".

will there be any flap/packet drop if i configure to port fast ? QUICK RESPONSE WILL BE HELPFUL.

4 Replies 4

Hi Vikneswaran,

The port should not flap after Spanning-Tree Portfast has been enabled (if everything else is fine). You will see the usual warning like the one below

Warning: Spantree port fast start should only be enabled on ports connected

to a single host.  Connecting hubs, concentrators, switches, bridges, etc. to

a fast start port can cause temporary spanning tree loops.  Use with caution.
To be sure you can simulate it quickly with Packettracer.
I hope this helps.
Nate

Thanks for the update.

My question is, will there be any flap if the port is active and we are configuring to port fast ?

Let me try with packettracer as wel.

Not if everything else is configured properly and the layout is the one you described me. I still recommend you to verify it quickly.

handoko wiyanto
Level 3
Level 3

perhaps you can give the copy of show tech-support command first, so that we can see the switch current state of spanning tree

but if you in a critical time, is there any port available on the current switch to do the testing

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco