cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows 7 Network Map causes port to go err-disable

bret
Level 3
Level 3

Our desktop team wants to run LLDP, so they can use Network Map on a windows 7 box. This is all well and good, but the box connects to a switch running port-security with max 2. When the discovery starts the port is thrown into err-disabled. We put a recovery timer in place, but this is not good enough and we cant get rid of port-security max 2. Has anyone had this issue and come up with a solution?

Look forward to your replies.

Bret

4 Replies 4

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

You need to find the cause of err-disable first, which should be in the logs, also paste the interface configurations for the port that goes in err-disable....

---

Posted by WebUser Neeraj Jagga from Cisco Support Community App

For some reason when the Network Map is run it wants to learn all the MACs. When this happens the threshold is reached on my port-security max 2 causing the err-disable to occur.

*Mar  1 06:02:03: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: psecure-violation error detected on Gi0/43, putting Gi0/43 in err-disable state

*Mar  1 06:02:03: %PORT_SECURITY-2-PSECURE_VIOLATION: Security violation occurred, caused by MAC address 000d.3aee.6101 on port GigabitEthernet0/43.

Interface GigabitEthernet0/43

switchport access vlan 128

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 50

switchport port-security maximum 2

switchport port-security

no logging event link-status

srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5

priority-queue out

mls qos trust cos

no snmp trap link-status

auto qos trust

no cdp enable

spanning-tree portfast

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

if you say for some reason the software is trying to learn all the MAC addresses, why is it trying to send it back to the port using it as a source MAC causing the port to protect? I don't think that's the right way to software works not unless there's a loop between your server and switch. just my 2c.

---

Posted by WebUser John Patrick Lopez from Cisco Support Community App

I'm sorry to say but Microsoft LLTD protocol is not compatible with mac-based authentication. There is nothing you can do about it, but this network map is rather useless eye candy anyway, ain't it?

For further information about LLTD have a look here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc233991.aspx

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card