Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Windows CDP client

Any one here know of a good Windows CDP client they have used?

Thanks

• LAN Switching and Routing
14 REPLIES

Re: Windows CDP client

What are you needing this for? CDP is for Cisco devices to be aware of what other Cisco devices are connected to it, and it reports device type, port it's connected to, etc.

More information would be helpful on what you're needing to do.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Well you can't always determine what switch port a PC is plugged in to. If I could install a CDP client on the windows machine I'd have no issues knowing what switch they are plugged in to.

I know you can take the IP address of the PC and hunt down the MAC in your core with a "show ip arp | i "ip" - then get the port with "show mac-address-table | i "mac" identified by the show ip arp. BUT this doesn't always work and can be time consuming depending on the network.

Yeah, I have to agree on the time consuming part. I'm not sure anyone has a CDP client, but the thought of how you want to use it would be cool. I'd be interested if anyone has used anything like this, but I've never seen anything like it.

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

tested

when all else fails, trace the cables...

cdp ttl=2 ... 1 hop ... means you still have to go each switch...

Purple

There appears to be a number of them just google windows cdp client .

Silver

here is one software that i use

All you have to so is ping the PC, the check the arp table for the mac address, then search the CAM table for the mac address and the switchport it's connected to - easy.

Andrew

If you have a very large network with many switches this is to cumbersome and at times does not work.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.