Helpful
Replies

windows xp host and command " netstat-rn

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

I was reading my book when encountered the following:

The command " netstat-rn" on windows xp host shows host routing table.

I always believe the routers have routing table. How could a host have routing table?

Thanks a lot.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarah

Hosts still can have routing tables although they usually only contain a default route pointing to the hosts default-gateway.

However there is nothing to stop you adding static routes to the host with the "route add ..." command and you can even run a dynamic routing protocol such as RIP on a host if you want.

Bear in mind that a host still needs to do a route lookup to send packets. Usually this consists purely of

1) if it's on my own subnet then arp out and send packet

2) if it's not on my subnet then send to default-gateway

It's recommended to let routers do the routing and hosts to just have a default-gateway.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarah

Hosts still can have routing tables although they usually only contain a default route pointing to the hosts default-gateway.

However there is nothing to stop you adding static routes to the host with the "route add ..." command and you can even run a dynamic routing protocol such as RIP on a host if you want.

Bear in mind that a host still needs to do a route lookup to send packets. Usually this consists purely of

1) if it's on my own subnet then arp out and send packet

2) if it's not on my subnet then send to default-gateway

It's recommended to let routers do the routing and hosts to just have a default-gateway.

Jon

XP can only listen for RIP updates - it can't send them. Windows Server editions can both listen and send RIP updates.

Typically you would use RIP on a host or server when more than one gateway exists on a subnet/network/vlan.

you can also use 'route print' to view the local routing table on a windows host.

These services are not installed by default but can be added through add/remove Windows programs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco