Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-3850R-24T cannot be reset

Sergic271
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

While trying to reset my 3850T to factory defaults I faced the following: after holding Mode button for 7 sec and more (up to 40 sec), LEDS DO NOT STOP BLINKING and switch stays intact.

I unplugged/plugged power cable and did the same procedure again - no luck.

What could be the reason?

Serge

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
The mode button may be broke not functioning correctly , you can factory it from cli if you have access either by wiping the contents of flash but keeping one bootable image , only other thing I could think of is its locked down with system disable password recovery switch all but I don't think that can block the mode button as it initiates the boot loader

The trick is I do not have access to cli :(

P.S. The switch is brand new

If its brand new why is there no access they come with no config , just boot up to switch> prompt ?
Send it back I would if it wasn't working out if the box , RMA or DOA with supplier , without the mode button or access you cant factory reset it , only other way and not sure if this is supported when mode button is in place is try the break sequence during boot up see doc
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/10000-series-routers/12818-61.html

If the switch is brand new, console into the switch and reboot.  

Post the entire boot-up process.  We want to see what this switch is actually doing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card