cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-5483 and 4510 switches

g.hammond
Level 1
Level 1

We inherited a 4510 switch with dual SupV and are trying to connect them to a 3845 router.  I purchased WS-5483 (copper GBICs) to accomplish this but they aren't working.  From everything I've read, these should work fine with these supervisors and the version of IOS that's running on them.  The problem is that they are not getting a link.  I know on the router, there is a command to specify media type.  Am I missing something in the configuration on either the switch or router that would cause these links not to work?  Basically have the uplink port on the switch set to a switchport but that's about the only configuration on the port.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

What module are you using the copper GBIC in?

it is supported on specific line cards:

Have a look at this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html#wp139452

HTH

Reza

Thanks for the quick reply.  The GBICs are going into a WS-X4516 running 12.2(25)EWA2, which according to the table in the link you provided should be supported.

Thanks,

Did you try a different patch cord.  Is there any way for you to test the ports with another box without using the GBIC to see if the issue is WS-5483?  You may have bad WS-5483

Reza

WS-5483, ahhhh ... I've received a number of WS-5483 that went back to Cisco because they were faulty.  What is the output to the command "sh interface status"?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: