cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C6506-E Show Time Updated and Rebooted

John Stevens
Level 1
Level 1

On my WS-C6506 i show where it udpated the clock over the weekend and rebooted.

*Jan 11 08:30:30.419: %SYS-6-CLOCKUPDATE: System clock has been updated from 14:30:30 UTC Sat Jan 11 2014 to 08:30:30 CST Sat Jan 11 2014, configured from console by console.

*Jan 11 08:30:30.419: %SYS-6-CLOCKUPDATE: System clock has been updated from 08:30:30 CST Sat Jan 11 2014 to 08:30:30 CST Sat Jan 11 2014, configured from console by console.

*Jan 11 08:30:30.539: %SPANTREE-5-EXTENDED_SYSID: Extended SysId enabled for type vlan. The Bridge IDs of all active STP instances have been updated, which might change the spanning tree topology

*Jan 11 08:30:38.403: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

*Jan 11 08:30:44.752: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

This is the first time i have seen a switch update the time itself and then restart.

Just wondering if this is normal?  Is there a way to prevent it from rebooting so it doesnt cause down time?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I know this is a long shot, but was this in operation without anyone modifying the config at the time of the reboot? I found this that you may want to take a look at to see if anything stands out:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/release/notes/caveats_SXH_rebuilds.html#wp4052171

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is not clear from the log that the clock update caused the restart.

Can you check to make sure that the switch actually restarted?  sh ver will tell you the switch up time

Also, can you check your flash for a crash file?

HTH

it did reboot.  I show its only been up a few days.  I will check to see if there is a crash log.  I just thought it was due to the time update since it happen right after that in the logs.

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This log isn't due to the system updating the system clock and then restarting. When the system restarts, it restarts with a UTC timezone. When the config loads, if it finds a different timezone in the config file, it updates the system time. The next couple of lines that you see are the completion of the boot with the finality "System restarted" message when the system is fully up and operational.

As Reza stated, the problem from this log can't be determined as to why the system restarted and a crash dump is better if it's there. Do you log information to a syslog server? If so,  you could also check there for clues.....

HTH,
John

Thanks for the information, makes since now.

I perfromed a dir and i dont see any crash log for Jan 11 2014

HSVC-SW-015-HOTH#dir
Directory of sup-bootdisk:/

1  -rw-    68626576  Aug 11 2007 23:52:36 -05:00  s3223-advipservicesk9_wan-                                                  vz.122-18.SXF10.bin
    2  -rw-    26843548   Feb 6 2008 17:41:46 -06:00  sea_log.dat
    3  -rw-    58730500   Feb 6 2008 22:29:40 -06:00  s3223-advipservicesk9_wan-                                                  mz.122-33.SXH1.bin
    4  -rw-           0   Feb 2 2010 00:03:46 -06:00  crashinfo_20100202-050346

255938560 bytes total (101732352 bytes free)
HSVC-SW-015-HOTH#

Is there anything else i can check to try and find out why it rebooted?

John

Can you have a look at "sh log" or post it here. Sometimes there are clues in there as to why your switch rebooted.

Jon

Unfortunately the show log command uses logs stored in memory of the switch - and that memory is erased when the switch restarts. So show log will not have much useful about the cause of the restart. Do you perhaps also send logs to a syslog server? If so you might get helpful information in the logs stored on the server.

I have occasionally seen helpful information in the output of show version. Perhaps you can post the show version output?

Could this have been the result of a power fluctuation? Are there other devices plugged into the same power source? Did any of those devices also restart at about the same time as this switch?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick

You are right. I was thinking of CatOS where the "sh log" could actually provide some useful information such as software exceptions etc.

Jon

Thanks all, i dont have the logs from before the reboot.  This switch has two power supplies which is hardwired to a UPS that is on back up power, so it had power.  I checked the show version, not any information in there about issues or reason for restart.

Might be out of luck on this one.

I know this is a long shot, but was this in operation without anyone modifying the config at the time of the reboot? I found this that you may want to take a look at to see if anything stands out:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/release/notes/caveats_SXH_rebuilds.html#wp4052171

HTH,
John

Jon

Yes CatOS was very nice in that sense.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

*Jan 11 08:30:30.419: %SYS-6-CLOCKUPDATE: System clock has been updated from 14:30:30 UTC Sat Jan 11 2014 to 08:30:30 CST Sat Jan 11 2014, configured from console by console.

*Jan 11 08:30:30.419: %SYS-6-CLOCKUPDATE: System clock has been updated from 08:30:30 CST Sat Jan 11 2014 to 08:30:30 CST Sat Jan 11 2014, configured from console by console.

Someone changed the time from UTC to CST.  Notice the start of each line is a "*".  This means that the chassis' time and date is hard-coded and not based of NTP/SNTP.

*Jan 11 08:30:38.403: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

*Jan 11 08:30:44.752: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

8 seconds later, you'll see this.  However, you notice that configuration was done by CONSOLE?  What I'd like to know is if you have any TACACs server.  I would like to know what commands were entered between 08:30.38 and 08:30.44.  It looks like a crash but it also looks like a "reload" command was invoked.

However, there could be a possibility that the supervisor card was ejected.

Thanks for the info Leo.

No one was onsite at the time this happend, so i know that no one ejected to the SUP card.  We dont ahve a TACAC server.

The messages about changing time are a very common part of the output of the boot process when the configuration has set a time zone and/or support for daylight savings time. I am confident that there was not anyone typing commands about the clock that generated these messages. I think it is clear that the switch restarted for some reason and that the restart caused the messages about changing time (and changing time did not cause the switch restart).

Unfortunately I can not come up with any other suggestions to try to figure out what did cause the switch restart. So it may remain a mystery.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I just looked that the following that John provided.

From this article above, i think the following happened.  My MPLS router internal port between it and the my switch reset, this kicked off my ASA IPSec tunnels.  Then a few minutes later, my switch reset due to the know issues with the IKE message.  Its a long shot but it makes since.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card